Anyone taking Omeprazole change to Ranitidine 75mg ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I left my Omeprazole in Scotland and was at Boots in England to buy some and spoke to chemist.

She showed me Boots own make of Omeprazole and it is very expensive £9.25 !

I decided to get Ranitidine 75mg £ 3.19 to help me on my short stay here ( hubby would post some ? )

Can anyone share their experiences with Ranitidine,please ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Celia50

I'm not sure if this will help but I have been taking Ranitidine (One 150mg, twice a day) for about a year and so far I have had no noticeable side effects.

Whether it is effective in curing the problems resulting from a Hiatus Hernia, I am not sure, as I have also been taking Pantoprazole for the same length of time. I now take One 20mg Pantoprazole daily in addition to the Ranitidine.These have been effective in stopping the problem and I can eat a normal diet and haven't needed Gaviscon at all.

I was taking Omeprazole for several years but started getting headaches and this was when the Doctor swithced me to Pantoprazole and added the Ranitidine. Although Pantoprazole would seem to be almost the same as Omeprazole, I am now headache free.

Probably not relevant but as well as the hernia, I have Barrat's Oesophagus.

• Posted

Hi Peter96893,

I have never tried any other meds before Omeprazole ! I am not sure about Ranitidine as I was feeling dizzy and unsteady on my feet too.

As I have to see the doctor for medication review,I would ask her and I know there is some treatment to solve this acid reflex altogether ?

• Posted

Dizziness (peripheral vertigo) can be a symptom of extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly known as LPR) .

I had surgery to reduce reflux and render me free of medication; although there are many versions of the surgery and many different new dvices and procedures (you'll find a whole section on this in the www DownWithAcid org uk book) the Nissen fundoplication is still the gold standard. A study published in 2014 looked at patients who had had Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication 20 years ago. It concluded: "Long-term results from the early experience with LF are excellent with 94 % of patients reporting only occasional or fewer reflux symptoms at 20-year follow-up."

• Posted

Ranitidine is not as effective as omeprazole and 75mg is probably insufficient. I had to use 300mg (ie 4 times the regular dose) . You can actually get cheaper versions of ranitidine if you look. You can get packs of 12 tablets of 75mg ranitidine for £1 at our Poundland store.

If staying away from home for a while, it's worth seeing a local GP to get an emergency prescription.

• Posted

It is all I take now.  After 17 years or so of being a slave to Omeprazole, I was having a lot of issues that I feel were caused by taking it for so long.  It wasn't easy, but now I take two Rantinidine a day to help with my issues.  I have to be much more careful about what I eat, I stay away from garlic and too much onions, and try not to eat before bed.  But, I feel this drug is far easier on you than omeprazole, as it totally shuts off the acid pumps, while this drug just reduces the excess.

• Posted

Hi Julie37508,

I loved my hot and spicy food,also onions and garlic with ginger in my cooking ! 

Now,I have not watch my diet maybe I should ? 

I must get more info re:Ranitidine before any change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.