University life

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 20 years old and in my second year of a mathematics degree, all my lectures are 9am, and because of AS I really struggle to get up in time to get to my earlier lectures, not only that but the pain from just sitting there for hours is awful, I really want to finish my degree but I don't know if I can continue like this.

I've tried to talk to my partner and family and they just don't understand what I'm going through. I struggle with little things like putting my socks on in a morning never mind the amount of stress I'm under due to university and working.

Can anyone suggest anything that may help?

Ps I take a painkiller called arcoxia

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I suggest change your course and follow your favorites. If you delay that s impossible again. Because of your pain it is very critical for you to have a calm life and without stress. This choice brings a brighter future for yoube sure. That s my experience. If you favor mathematics then it is not problem. I think
  • Posted

Hi Katy,

​  Sorry to hear that you are going through this stuff at such a young age. I feel grateful that I had more years under my belt before I had to start down this path.  But please tell us some more about yourself.  When did it come on and when did you get a diagnosis?  Where is your pain and are you having other symptoms besides the pain?  But more importantly who are you seeing for treatment and are they doing anything besides trying to cover it with pain meds?   For some there are meds that do more to tone down the symptoms but you have to be seeing a good rheumatologist to get that started.

• Posted

I got the diagnosis about 9 months ago, just before my 20th birthday, I'd had lower back pain for a long time before that, since I was about 16 but gradually getting worse. The pain is now in all of my back chest and hips, I get cramp easily when doing physical activity and I'm always tired and I mean always, I could spend all day everyday in bed if I had the time. I try to stay fit and exercise and I always have.

I go to a rhumy in Preston but it's so hard to get appointments I'm 4 months into my 6 month wait for my follow up appointment. I've been told I can't take any of the biologicals because I have TB antibodies and I've had a number of rare diseases in the last 5 years such as whooping cough and shingles. I also suffer with anxiety and depression which doesn't help the tiredness xx

• Posted

Hi Katy

I used to have problems with early morning. I would set my alarm for about 2 hours before I needed to get up, so I could take panekillers and give them a chance to kick in.

I went onto anti TNF drugs a few months ago, it has changed my life. I inject Benepali every week, and no longer need to take painkillers. Speak to your GP about these.

• Posted

Unfortunately I have TB antibodies in my blood (or something to do with that anyway) because my dad had tb before I was born, that means I can't take these types of medications xx

• Posted

Hi Katy,

Been there, done that...admire you!

Any and all of the rheumatic diseases hate to get cold. When we sleep, our metabolism slows...our body temperature drops...

And of course, warm muscles move easier...so,

Sleep on an electric mattress warmer pad...put it beneath your topper pad...the order is: mattress, electric pad, Homedics memory foam mattress pad, lofty bamboo mattress pad, sheet (Malden Mills Polar Fleece is so soft and warm)

I keep mine on year round...#1-2 in the summer, maybe 4 in fall, and 6 in winter. In fact I turn it on in the morning and again in the evening. It is on a ten hour timer. The reason I keep it on is that it takes time to thoroughly warm the whole bed. No more sliding poor legs in between cold sheets...less morning stiffness...so much easier to get up in the morning.

I use the polar fleece sheets year round.. soft on our skin that is so sensitive. always cold water, never fabric softener, always dry on knit cycle.

Sitting...consider a large blow up ball.. filled just enough to get your bottom off of the hard seats...and you must have a back rest with lumbar support. Take breaks were you can truly fully stretch.. slowly.

Consider wearing compression stockings..remember, you will be waking up warm...

Protect your pelvis and back by keeping them warm...when studying, use a heating pad...avoid going out on cold nights...

Get rest, not to be confused with sleep. All rheumatic diseases need lots of rest...and take breaks to stretch...

You mentioned a painkiller...how is the AS being treated?

I have lived with this damnable disease since I was 11...I just turned 65...the road today is so much easier because of DMARDS and biologics....

Katy, you go girl!

I am available to share my experiences...

hugs

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.