The Hemochromatosis Genes

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have to admit that I am going to play alittle stupid here but I want to understand .

OK so I have both of the "C" genes, does that come from one parrent or both or combination of both? My parents are not living so we cannot test.  Our sons have one gene so that makes them a carrier and they could pass on to their children does our sons wife have to be tested ? What age does his children have to be tested

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary. You would have received one gene from your mother & the other from your father. If you look on the Canadian HH society website they explain all of the possible combinations. I was told that my son can't be tested until he is old enough to understand the implications of the disorder. Doctors will not test my mother even though she must have at least one gene - myself & siblings have two genes. I think you may find they are reluctant to test your son's wives. You can always ask, though. Confusing, isn't it?!!

• Posted

Sorry - your son's wife or sons' wives, I mean!!

• Posted

The next best test for sons' wives is an Iron Studies test - every dr should do  one for all their patients - it is a window to a lot of issues.  However, if wives are still menstruating, the levels might not indicate the possibility of haemochromatosis (definitely won't if only a carrier), but there have been a few young women on this forum who have been found to have haemochromatosis while still menstruating.

Unless the mothers of your grandchildren have been found to have 2 genes, drs generally will not be in a hurry to order genetic tests on your grandchildren.

• Posted

Hi Mary ,

You have received a gene from each parent.

In order for you son to know what the chances for their children are , his wife also needs to be checked for the most frequent mutations.

Based on the results of the wife, decision is made whether to check the children early or not, if she is not also a carrier, there will be no need to check the kids. If she is, the children will have a 25%chance of being homozygous for the disease (they will show symptoms) .

• Posted

Thanks I understand now.  OK now I have another issue.  Its this incredible craving for sugar since I have stopped eating red meat ad doing the phlbo has anyone else experienced this???? I am trying to balance out my protein with yogurt, cottage cheese etc one person mentioned that maybe I am low on magnesium any suggestions
    • Posted

You are probably low on protein.  You are allowed to eat red meat - just not every day.  Include protein in all your meals and snacks.  A little sugar keeps the craving for sugar going.  It is addictive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.