Zonton

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm taking zon ton fast tab it's basically lanz but in a tablet form you can swallow or just let melt in your mouth how would I reduce this I really want to come off this bed I've been on it for three years I still get problems but I'm fed up with taking this I've had very low vitamin D since I've been on this

0 Reply

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm finding it's a bit of a catch 22 with proton pump inhibitors (Lansoprazol) (Omeprazole) etc. Been taking them for 2 years on and off, problem is, the minute I stop them I get the heartburn/indegestion/acid reflux straight back again on a daily basis. I also have Gastritis so I have to take Esomeprazole for that. I really don't know how you will cope if you reduce them, but I do know for sure they cause really bad constipation and thin the bones. I also had a drop in my Calcium and Phosphate levels.

• Posted

Dear Gillian 68,

Can I ask why you have to take lansoprazole and esomeprazole? Won't esomeprazole take care of your gastritis and reflux? I am just trying to understand why you have to take 2 proton pump inhibitors. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, I've probably confused you by mentioning Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, then later mentioning Ezomeprazole. What I meant is that I started on Omeprazole, then moved on to Lansoprazole, but they were losing their effect and I was later put on to Ezomeprazole, but by that time I found out I had Gastritis. Think I'm becoming resistant to them as they don't always work for me.

• Posted

Yes I think your body gets used to them and needs more but that can't happen have you tryed Gaviscon after meals as well

• Posted

I have Lansoprazol 30mg capsules - and I open one every two days and take half the granuals each day. This cuts down the cost and lets me fine tune how much I take. Have you tried cutting your tablets in bits ?

I have had low Vit B12 and am using a spray for the last week - under the tounge - not sure it it helps, but injections did - but only after a blood test showed I was low. I'm veggie for the last 25 years.  

• Posted

Hi, can't say I've ever tried that, wouldn't expect them to be that nice taken that way.. Do you know they can cause a B12 deficiency? Is that how it happened? through taking proton Pump Inhibitors.

• Posted

Thnaks for the clarification.  Many factors can affect B-12 absorption and decreased acidic environment (like taking taking long term PPIs) can contribute to B-12 deficinency.  There are others factors like diet, lack of intrinic factor, etc.  Hopefully you and your PCP are keeping a close eye on this.  Keep researching and asking questions.  Best of luck. 
  • Posted

Hi Gillian,

I've been recovering for 3 years since  being diagnosed with single figure vit d levels. 3 years before this I was prescribed Lanzoprazole 30mg  as i have a hiatus hernia and was getting acid reflux. I later realised that this drug can give absorption problems and alot of other weird symptoms. I was anxious, an insomniac, sweating at night, aches and pains chest pains and generall unwell from these tablets. PPI's as they are known are dreadful, and I came off the tablets which was hard at first as acid levels go crazy again as you recover. I used gaviscon, slept on a wedge pillow, avoided tomatoes, acidic and spicy foods, wine and fizzy drinks and I'm ok now. I ocassionally use gaviscon if I get any acid/reflux symptoms.

The thing is once I was taking Lanzaprazole ( for three years) my health deteriorated drastically. I think this led to further issues with absorbing vit d and then I had a total wipe out due to the deficiency. 

It is worth coming off PPI's if taking the pill for acid reflux, and taking routine vit d3 supplements combined with calcium and magnesium and getting some sun. This keeps my levels in range. I was told by a Dr recently that PPIs were originally prescribed only as a pre op medicine as they keep the stomach from reacting during an operation. also a nurse friend said that 30mg is prescribed to patients with serious illnesses such as stomach cancer, so they are dangerous to take constantly.

good luck with coming off them, and be prepared for alot of acid for a month or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.