Main problem is diastolic always diastolic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Have been on amlodipine and losartan for about 4 years. I'm 57 and still working. My job is "fairly" stressful. I exercise regularly, made significant dietary changes a year ago and very slightly overweight.

I monitor during day in work and at home in evening. My systolic is generally between 130-145 but diastolic rarely below 88. It doesn't go much beyond 95 and mostly around 90. Is there anything I can do to rectify or is the resting pressure much harder to change at my age?

Many thanks

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Steve, I'm sure you probably know the diastolic reading is the more important one as this is more dangerous if it's too high than the systolic reading. I'm having a similar problem in the sense that my diastolic reading isn't coming down as well as the systolic reading has. I'm currently taking Ramipril, I'm 48 and my diastolic reading is rising a little again. Not sure if it's harder to bring down the diastolic reading, would need to hear from more people regarding this.

• Posted

Hi Gillian 68..Yes, at ONE TIME the medical profession was more concerned about the diastolic numbers, but these days, they do pay attention at the systolic. A person can have, say...153/78...& they'd be wondering about that. 

• Posted

Yes, I know what your saying Mike. Quite often the both readings are high as well. I do believe I've read information stating that your more likely to have a heart attack or stroke if the diastolic reading is high compared to a high systolic reading.

• Posted

Check with your doc.  You could add a diuretic, e.g. HCTZ, chlorthalidone, spironolactone, etc.; or an ACE antagonist.
  • Posted

Today I read a post stating celery seed lowered the diastolic pressure
    • Posted

See if you can find anything about that in the medical literature.  I could not.
    • Posted

Google: celery seed and hypertension .you will find it
    • Posted

NOPE.  Try searching the medical literature. not the Web.
    • Posted

Doctors and pharmacists are about writing prescriptions and making money. They wouldn't be interested in helpful foods but some clinical trials and university studies came up when I googled celery seed and hypertension.

• Posted

I guess that must be why my doctors give me all sorts of advice about things like exercise and what to eat and what not to eat, and ideas about things to take so as to avoid RX meds--so that I'll have poorer health and see them more often, if I do those things....

Googling for medical advice is a TERRIBLE idea. 

• Posted

Sorry, g.90572, but as I think I said earlier, I went to THE database of medical papers to look for research about celery seed and hypertension, and I found exactly ONE paper--and that, done on rats.
  • Posted

Many thanks for these helpful replies. Will take a look when I get home.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi steve27598...I was looking at your bp numbers you provided. It seems the 130-145 isn't really all that bad..but when it gets over 140; depending on circumstances, I'd try to get that down. You went on to say that rarely the diastolic is below 88, but stays mostly at 90. I don't know where you live but considering your age, here in Canada a lot of Dr.s wouldn't be too concerned. 140/90 can be very acceptable..but not higher than that.

If you're truly concerned about the diastolic; by all means consult your doctor. 

• Posted

Many thanks again. Yes, I guess I could be more philosophical about the diastolic being circa 90 at my age. I have to day that both readings spike during day due to my job. Not sure I can do anything about that but thankfully it drops a bit when I get home.

• Posted

Hi again steve27598..you stated that both bp reasding spike during the day due to your job. I'd guess your job causes some stress. That being the case, that's a very reasonable explanation as to why there's a spike, & I'm sure your Dr. would accept that as well. What does weigh in your favour is that the bp readings drop a bit when you get home..which in my mind would prove the spikings are stress-related. Check this out with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.