Extremely scared that I have a brain tumor, any advice?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last Friday, I randomly felt pressure in my head and felt dizzy, I then went to sleep, woke up and still felt a bit dizzy. The next day I felt dizzy again and just continued with my day. Now after this, for the next three days, I felt completely fine and was glad that I was living normally. A day after that, I got a migraine from not eating, this normally happens to me so I took an Anacin and felt fine. However, for the next three years, the persistent heavy headed/dizziness came back! I visited the doctors and he said he doesnt think its a tumor and does not suggest a CT scan because I dont present symptoms of a tumor. He thinks im stressing too hard for school since im a senior in college and ive been studying pretty hard.

What do you guys think? My symptoms are basically persistent dizziness/heavy headed/slight head pressure, it makes me feel fatigued. Also, it feels like im unbalanced but I can do everything fine, I even jogged for a bit over a mile yesterday and have no problems walking, doing daily tasks. I just dont feel normal.. please help if anyone can!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello.....last year I was worried I had the same thing cause I have persistent dizziness which is everyday for me even when I walk and I have balance issues too so I had my ears checked as well as having an MRI done on my brain which was normal. To this day I still don't know what's causing the everyday dizziness so I just deal with it the best I can. I do have anxiety and high blood pressure but I don't think they are the cause. Honestly, I don't know if I ever will know. I hope you find out what's causing your dizziness . Take care.

• Posted

Hi. High blood pressure can cause dizziness and sinus problems too. Maybe a change of blood pressure medication may help.
  • Posted

Hi

i think your doctor has given you wise advice. As a brain tumour patient I know that tumours are rare and from the symptoms you have given I think it is extremely unlikely that you have one.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.. im a complete hypochdonriac when it comes to my health, so I HAVE to get an MRI to get a piece of mind.. God bless you and I hope you're doing well with a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi. I think you're doctor's absolutely right. I would say that your symptoms are more to do with the work load of your studying and your migraines than a brain tumour. Migraines can make you feel very "unattached" or distant, stress and a heavy work load would magnify those feelings. Stop worrying but get the migraines sorted out properly.

• Posted

Hi Kurt

​Is the pain like a numb pain if that makes sense?

​Mine was like that, I used to see stars if i jumped to quick like at the football matches. I used to stand and think i felt dizzy and a area of my head was like it was numb, but when i touched it there was feeling there. They missed my tumour but im on the mend now. What i have learnt it that you can talk yourself into anything. Everyone is different with syphtoms and diagnosis. You could change doctors for look a paying for a scan privately. After all whats a fgew hundred quid for piece of mind?

​If your scan is good then at least you can move forward with your life and stop stressing yourself anymore than you need too. Anxiety is the worse thing you can get at times like this.

​Firstly demand a second opinion at your docs and demand a scan. Really go to town on how you feel. I let my docs talk me out of it for 2 years until i collapsed and then found one. Personally i dont think you have one but do check mate!

• Posted

Your only symptoms for your tumor was dizziness? Yes, sometimes I feel like my head is numb/tingling feeling. I decided to talk to my uncle who is a doctor and he said I dont have a brain tumor either from what I described to him..however, he told me to switch over my insurance to him as my primary doctor and he will order a MRI for me if my doctor isnt willing.
    • Posted

Do your self a favour get all sorts of cover now before you go any futher. Its too late for me on that front!

​The only other sign i had was in the months leading up to this, is i went out for a drink i would start getting terrible hangovers during my night out. Sometimes after only 1-2 pints.

​Im sure its nothing for you, but id get life and sickness cover, health cover then go for a private scan insurance

• Posted

Hi,

I hope your recovering well from your illness.

I too am convinced that I have a brain tumour, I have head presssure pretty much all the time, and I feel dizzy, this doesn't happen all the time but recently it's happening everyday. I suffer from health anxiety so it makes everything ten times worse!!! Can you explain to me exactly how you felt leading up to your diagnosis, I'd just like to see if they match how I feel.

I have been to my GP twice in the past and on both occasions they said they don't think it's a tumour.

I had full blood tests back in November would a brain tumour have been picked up on these tests???? Please help

• Posted

Hi Laura. The tumour that I have, is, in fact a tumour of the membrane covering the brain (meninges), not the brain itself. These are, 95 per cent of the time, benign - not cancerous. I had no symptoms at all prior diagnosis, the tumour was found while having a routine scan following my cancer treatment. The symptoms that you are displaying are also symptoms of other conditions other than a brain tumour, a sinus infections for example. I am not aware of signs of brain tumour showing in blood tests, I only know that my cancer did not. Listen to your doctor and if you still lack confidence in what he is telling you ask for a second opinion. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Joy.

I've had these symptoms etc since around September, due you think my symptoms would have got worse since then ???

• Posted

You must understand Laura that the people on this site are not medically trained so are not in a position to attempt a diagnosis of any description. It would be awful to give you misinformation, please speak to your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Laura

​No a brain tumour wouldnt be picked up on blood tests alone. Cancer in the body can spread to a brain tumour, but not the other way round, so im told.

​But firstly, you said you have anxiety, this could be a massive part of why your feeling this way. I just felt light headed for months before hand but just put that down to everyday stress of kids and running a biz.

Afew months before it happened when ever i went out drinking a hang over would start as soon as i started drinking. I mean a real intense headache. They were my only signs.

​Personally i think your stressing yourself out into a state and this is causing this. But im not a doctor and i honestly cant help to that degree.

​The bllod test would have probably picked up some cancer in the body but again im no expert.

​The anxiety need sorting though, i suffered this myself and felt how you did

• Posted

I think Rob might have meant that cancer in the body can spread to the brain  not to a brain tumour. Rob is right that a primary brain tumour does not metastasise to other parts of the body

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.