Why no red meat ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It seems on the diverticulitis chat a lot of people say no red meat,

I told my doctor about this and she said just no seed or nuts and have heard nothing about not eating red meat, can someone tell me why no red meat and will it make my diverticulitis come back if I eat it, should I stick to white meat like chicken or turkey and what proof is their that red meat is bad for this condition I'm not keen on sausages either, thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bethia

I find I can eat lamb and pork, no problem, in small quantities, and I grill or pot roast without fat, just water and herbs.  I also remove all fat from the cooking liquor before making gravy. I don't eat beef but that's because I don't like it!  

I fished out the information given to me by my hospital, but it's ambiguous.  It tells me to increase fibre so stools are soft and easy to pass ie cereals, wholewheat bread (you can get some gluten free varieties), fruit, vegetables, berries.  You can increase bulk in the diet by taking ispaghula (Fybogel) which can be prescribed or bought over the counter.  You might need to check it with your doctor for your diabetes. It also says avoid large meals, especially rich and/or fatty foods.  There was no mention of cutting out red meat.  It then contradicts itself by saying benefit is not invariable and some people are helped by having less roughage.  

In other words everyone is different and it's a case of trial and error.  I suggest you keep a food diary to try and find out what particular foods seem to trigger your symptoms, on more than one occasion.  Also if certain activities make the symptoms worse.  It's a bit of detective work and might take a few weeks.  Good luck

• Posted

I started my diary yesterday when I read you said to do so, it's a brilliant idea, I now take proboscis and need more, I can't eat big meals at moment but never was much good at that anyway I find I shovel about like an elderly person not got any huff more like puff, I drink water and tea sometimes peppermint as it said it's good for the big D, will I have to expect relapses will it always come back?

I'm a little scared as it takes so much out of me and messes my diabetic about, also doctor weighed me yesterday I didn't lose half a stone in eleven days but a stone, that's the next thing he is looking into, the antibiotics also gave me thursh so I'm a bit of a mess at moment and I'm worried about work next week lots of bending and lifting,

• Posted

Hi

Sadly once you've got Diverticular Disease you always have it, so yes you may well have relapses.  Some people seem to be lucky, but others have more frequent relapses, and a few people eventually require surgery like me.  I can only speak from my experience but my relapses always follow eating the foods I know are triggers, or doing heavy work.   I overdid it yesterday and am niggling today, so it's rest, fluid and a hot water bottle today.  So there is a moral there!  

I try to eat little and often as then the system does not get overloaded with too much at once.  I too got thrush after the last relapse, and all the prep for 2 colonoscopies in 8 days, a known side effect of some antibiotics. It sounds like there is a lot going on medically with you.  Is there any way you could take a bit more time off work, to get your diabetes back under control and not aggravate the bowel with bending and lifting?  I know it may not be possible, with bills to pay, but do you have an understanding employer and doctor?  Otherwise unfortunately it takes time to settle.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I agree with Felinia - it seems to be trial and error.  I have it in the sigmoid region along with moderate/severe distal UC so at that point while they were what seemed like forever getting it under control, the food diary didn't work as everything affected me but now in remission, things are loads better and tap wood, no attacks from either front since. I took some things out of my diet and started to re-introduce them however I despise and will only somewhat tolerate the taste of chicken and it was food poisoning from fish that started the colitis sooooooo.... I eat beef but it sits heavily so it's pretty much moderation for me.. no huge steaks on the BBQ anymore - no huge anything as it seems I can actually feel the gut having to work overtime when I eat what used to be a regular meal.  I also drink lots and don't do high fibre for fear of the UC being a factor. I did gluten free for a while but now can tolerate cereal and I can even tolerate onions again which was a big no no for what seemed like so long!!!  I also miss my popcorn and I suffered eating some roasted pumpkin seeds as I knew they could cause a problem but couldn't resist the once a year temptation!  I did notice they didn't agree but I know next year I'll do it again cuz I won't have an October food diary! (Smile!)

Food diary and moderation.. best way to go. cheesygrin

• Posted

Good morning!  I think if you research the definition of diverticulitis you will see almost uniformly inflamation is used to describe the "attack" and further if researching inflamatory foods the usual are listed such as sugar, dairy, saturated or trans fats, grain feed lot not grass fed meats, gluten or ATI in wheat, refined grains alcohol etc.... there are so many that may or may not cause inflamation on a personal level. There are numeous diets for diseases considered to be caused by inflamation.  Best bet is try red meat alone and then wait a few hours to eat again but I would think inflamation can not be helped with continued eating of inflamatory foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.