Repair for vaginal bladder prolapse

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with bladder prolapse and have been through having physiotherapy to improve muscle control, various different kinds of vaginal pessaries (am on my sixth different variant as I talk) and it has been suggested by the surgeon that I consider having a repair done. He says it is a simple operation requiring 2-3 days in hospital and recovery is six weeks. Have other people gone this route and (1) how effective is the operation, and (2) what is the recovery really like?  I would like to have as much information as possible before I decide on the operation if this new pessary doesn't work. Many thanks in advance for guidance and help.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi had physio but didn't try pessary. Had a failed a@p repair in May and am currently in hospital after having same op yesterday. I think I'm in the minority for failed op as I didn't really take it easy. Work in a busy school environment so had 10 weeks off and then it ran into summer hols. All I can say is everyone is diff, I wasn't in much pain felt the worst time was when the stitches were on their way out! I intend to take it easy this time, good luck with whatever you decide xx

• Posted

hope you feel better soon as it must have felt terrible to have to have the first operation fail. 
  • Posted

I had bladder and bowel repair last thursday. The operation doesnt take very long, i was in just over an hour for both prosedures so i think one would be a lot quicker than that. You are fitted with a cathater for the first 24 hours after surgery and possibly a pack inside as well. Once these were removed i had to pee 3 times in paper bowls so the nurses could moniter how much my bladder was holding . I had my op done using a spinal block rather than general anesthetic and was discharged the following afternoon. I have had no pain and only used pain killers the first few days. I think its too early for me to tell if it has been a complete sucess but i think it has as there is such a difference when i go to the toilet. Personally i feel 6 weeks recovery is very quick as im sure it takes 12 weeks for the stitches to fully dissolve. Due to the nature of my work i have been adviced to take 10-12 weeks off work as you cant lift anything heavy or stand for long periods of time. Good luck xx
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline, I am ppost op 8 weeks now from tvt and rectocele repair.  Recovery is tough, im still off work but going back next week. Dont do too much, i walked to start building up strength and ended up with labour like pains for a week - very bad. and that was at 4 weeks!  Constipation is a huge issue, there will likely be perineal stitches - ouch like sitting on glass. Take +++ softeners, prunes, you name it! Do not underestimate this op - i don't think anyone tells you just how big a deal it is.  Also lift nothing - you will be sore if you do and could undo the work! Good luck. Wendy

• Posted

sounds as though the surgeon is a bit optimistic when he says, six weeks!! I think I will see how this pessary works out as it might mean I don't need an operation too soon. Thanks for this information though. Best  of luck with your continued recovery.

• Posted

Hi jacqueline

I suffered for 6 years with a Grade 2/3 Cystocle and minor posterior proplapse after my Son was born. I put it off for a  long time because I was scared to have the surgery and wore a Pessary for 18 months.I had my surgery 4th August this year. I had a general and when I woke up I was suprisingly in no pain due to a lot of local anesthetic being injected in to the area. I was able to emply my bladder and bowels within 24 hours so I only stayed in hospital for 1 night.I did not meed any pain medication at home either. I would not say it's a " simple" operation it really did take it out of me and I am a fit active 42 yr old . I would say it was around 4 weeks when I even started to be able to walk at a decent pace, I tired very easily. Even at 8 weeks when I was allowed to go for a swim I was very tentatative and felt delicate and swam slowly. I had my post surgery app. at 10 weeks and got the all clear. This is just my personal exp. but with regards to bedroom relations I still have not felt ready and just starting to think I could maybe cope with it at 14 weeks. It is such a personal operation and I am sure it's Psychological but for me that area seems a bit de-sensitised, but it is returning. On the whole I am very pleased I had the surgery and really wish I had been braver and had it sooner. I am preety much back to normal now and can do all the exercising I could do before but I am avoiding anything that involves jumping but I can run / swim and do light weights. I feel it is def. worth it if it's making you as miserable as it was making me then what do you have to lose? If you have any other questions then feel free to reply to me. Good luck x

• Posted

it certainly doesn't sound an easy choice - do I or do I not have the operation. The recovery especially the length of time it will take, does put me off. Many thanks for this information though, it does help.

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline It is quite a long recovery but it's only a few weeks out of your life and it does go quickly. Personally speaking since having it done I have felt a sense of freedom that I haven't felt for a long time.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

I first noticed something not quite right in February this year. After visit to nurse at clinic and doctor it took two months to get an appointment with NHS Gynaecologist to get my diagnosis. It was confirmed I had a bladder prolapse, the doctor (Male) was most unsympathetic, told me it was quite common and I could do nothing or have a ring pessary or have the anterior repair, which may or may not include a hysterectomy. He bombarded me with lots of leaflets and told me to decide then and there what I wanted to do. I opted for a ring pessary to see how I would get on with that, which he fitted, telling me that it would probably fall out as I had such weakness in my pelvic floor. I asked him if I did pelvic floor exercises would that help the problem. He said no the damage has been done and your muscles are so weak it will not help at all. I left the hospital feeling uncomfortable down below and quite tearful as he has been so dismissive. He told me to make an appointment for six months to have the pessary replaced. I manged for a couple of months with the pessary (which stayed in and did not fall out like the doctor said it would) and decided I would opt for the anterior repair and I would have it done privately by a woman gynaecologist as hopefully they would be more sympathetic. I saw a very lovely lady doctor who said I may not need a hysterectomy and she would try her utmost to do the anterior repair without it. I asked about doing pelvic floor exercises to her and she said that of course it will help and will only strengthen the muscles, so to start them staight away. I had the anterior repair on 8 October, nearly five weeks ago. The surgeon said that my repair was not as bad as was originally, due to my doing the pelvic floor exercies and I did not need a hysterectomy, she put everything back into place nicely, thank goodness. My recovery has not been too bad, the first couple of weeks are the worst, but feeling good now and well on the way to getting back to normal. Due to have check up next Monday, so fingers crossed all is ok. If you are getting on ok with the ring pessary then stick with that, but I hated it and the thought of going back to the male gynaecologist to have it changed filled me with dread, so that was one of the reasons I had the op. Good luck with whatever you decide. I am glad I had it done so far........but still early days.
  • Posted

I had my bladder repair 11 years ago and still holding well (I did have a very good surgeon mind) I am an adminstrator and was off work for about 10 weeks. at 6 weeks my bladder still felt quite "irritated" I certainly dont have any regrets biggrin

• Posted

I had this surgery 11 years ago and even though I am due to have posterier wall done on Friday the front wall is still holding up well. My consultant has an excellent reputation for prolapse repairs and I am very grateful for this.

Personally i wouldnt bother with the pessary. I was so fed up with the constant back and forward to the loo and bladder infections.

I had 3 nights in hospital and at 6 weeks check up I still felt my bladder was really irritated still. My consultant said this wasnt unusual and its morely likely to be nearer 12 weeks for recovery. I was off work for about 11 weeks. Intercourse at 6 weeks was still to uncomfortable and it was about 4 months before things were better.

The most important thing is to rest especially for the first few weeks and stick to guidelines regarding lifting etc. It was quite a big recovery but sooooo worth it in the end xx

• Posted

Hi Kar67,

I hope you are recovering well and taking it easy? I had a successful posterior repair in July and am so glad I took things steady for the advised time frame.

I also need an anterior repair but have been advised to wait until I've finished my family (still pondering as damage was done by my first!)

As your bladder repair was so successful I wondered if you were able/allowed to share details of your surgeon either on here or via message?

I had my posterior repair done by a reputable pelvic floor surgeon but he's not a urogynacologist so I don't know if I'd be better with someone else or sticking with him as have a good relationship/he knows history etc.

Keen to get the best repair I can for a good longterm outcome as I'm only 29 and previously very active.

Thanks smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.