Costochondritis - any advice welcome

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed in May and still have it. My symptoms include my chest feeling like I have trapped air in there so that I have problems breathing. I have inhalers that help and ibropufen sometime helps but it's the struggle to breath that really gets to me. It's also painful to touch in my chest and ribs. When I press my chest I can feel it's hard right in the middle like there is a swelling there. Tt does affect my moods and I am really fed up. I am fine in the morning but as I have a desk job, by the middle of the afternoon, it starts to flare up again

Anyone have any advice for me?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stella, your symptoms sound just like mine, I also have what feels like breast pain on the side of my chest that is sore and my chest pops like cracking knuckles when I move a certain way. This flare up had lasted from May until a couple of weeks ago, thankfully in the last few weeks it has started to improve. Like you I also work in a desk job and find it doesnt help. I have found that cutting out caffeine helps, and I have started taking omega 3 fish oils. I'm trying to keep the sugar in my diet low too since it is an inflammatory. I have also cut out all physical activity that involves my upper body and my exercise just consists of walking and lower body workouts. I find that stretching out the area every day helps, gently though. Sounds simple but I also try to awtch my posture at my desk and get up and walk around at least once every hour, my chest feels so tight sometimes if I forget to do this and I've been crouched at my desk for a long time. I hope that helps in any way.

• Posted

Thank you Charlene. I've just started trying the fish oils. I used to go to the gym but have been frightened to go in case I aggrevate it but perhaps some treadmill use might help. Myu boss knows I have it so is not surprised when I jump up every 30 mins or so to walk aroundsmile Will definately look at my sugar levels and reduce coffee. Thanks again

• Posted

I don't work a desk job but I find if I'm somewhere where I need to sit, a simple lift, pull back and rolling of my shoulders works to stretch out the muscle and joints. Holding the stretch when I pull my shoulders back helps to open up the area. Also resting my elbows on the top of my chair or just clasping my hands behind my back whilst sitting works. That's if you're conscious of doing certain stretches at work, those are the most discreet.

• Posted

Thanks for this. Just tried the stretches and will definately do these
  • Posted

Hi Stella,

I was diadnosed in Dec 2015. Have you been to a rheumatologist? Do you use soft ice packs? A TENS UNIT? I take a medicine called neurontin..It def. helps. I also go to a counselor to help with anxiety and stress. You are not alone. It usually hurts me end of day as well. Hang in there. Ask your dr about that medicine. Good luck!!!!!!!  

• Posted

I have been coping with this pain for years, it felt like the pain was coming from my left breast so obviously with me having anxiety I worked myself up thinking the pain was something serious 😳 I've been told it's a pulled muscle and all sorts then finally tonight I spoke to a really understanding doctor who pressed on my ribs and made the diagnosis there and then! I still don't know what to do to ease the pain mine goes from my chest under my boob to my shoulder and down my arm, sometimes I feel it in my back all over. It's not nice but I'm hoping it calms down soon! Hope you find something to make it easier to deal with smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.