someone please advise me

Posted , 8 users are following.

please can someone give me some adice, i had put this up on another couple of sites but only got a couple of replies.

i'm due to have a root out next week and i don't know what to do as when he injects it will make my pain start or won't it? has anyone had pain worse/start after having the anaesthetic?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi fed up

Although I didn't have a tooth out, I did have root canal treatment (as they thought the tooth was the prob but was in fact tn), the actual injection made no difference at all. I guess it depends if they touch a nerve? Sorry I can't be more help.

Paula x

• Posted

hi Paula, your reply was much help, thank you, i will ask if he can avoid the nerve.
  • Posted

I had had dental work done when my TN was flaring up. It hurt to open my mouth to receive the shot, but once the novocaine starting working, the pain disappeared completely for a couple of hours. It was actually pretty nice.
    • Posted

hi Clint, thanks for the reply, must have flaming hurt but i guess the pain must have come back after?
    • Posted

It did, but the 2 hour break was worth getting the shot.
  • Posted

Sometimes it helps to take a Valium the night before a dental procedure and another one before the procedure.  It will help with your stress, which can intensify pain.
  • Posted

I've been through the root canal and crown routine, thinking my pain was from a tooth. Still not convinced the procedure was warranted. Amazingly, my TN wasn't a problem during any of it. I don't understand about the on again/off again nature of this beast. All I know is the pain is excruciating when it occurs. I'm on 400 mg of carbamazepine currently, with an occasional ibuprofen or norco. Have had MRI and MRA but haven't discussed results yet with neurologist. So back to your question, you may not even need a root canal. Maybe get another opinion. Good luck to you!

• Posted

hi Jewell

its the root that needs taking out. it had a root canal ,many years back and the root is cracked and rotton so it needs coming out.

thanks for the luck!

• Posted

Hi Jewell and FedUp

like you I'm on hefty doses of carbamaz at least x2 the dose you told us on here. I go up to 1600mg if having bad breakthroughs. If you can cope with it and not too many side effects then it seems for most people to be the drug of choice. But, everyone is completely different and some react badly to low doses of many drugs. I can't take amitrip at all, even the lowest dose knocks me out. Carbamaz is OK but it can mess up your blood sodium levels so it's worth having that in your next blood test at your practitioners.

If you've had your MRI (I think you said that on a recent post, can't see them using this iPhone) and they find that you have an obvious compression or a loop of that pesky cerebellar artery over your Trigeminal root nerve then I'll bet they mark you up for the MVD operation. This is extremely effective in those cases with that type of classical clinical definition...........and several people on here and on the UK TNA website (sorry don't know where you live) are very supportive of that op. It's got a very good success rate and low percentage of recurrence. I'm going for that myself early in 2017 hopefully. My neurosurgeon has quite a bit of experience with TN and MVDs, so hoping for a good outcome.

Good luck and keep us in touch about your MRI results

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Thanks for your informative input. If I read the MRA report accurately, there is a compression on the nerve. Appt with doc isn't until the 22nd so have a while to go before finding out for sure. However, the past week has been pain free..Whoo hoo! Have learned to take med after eating, so no nausea....another Whoo hoo! So all is good for now, but I know it can come back with a vengeance at any time, so I'm on guard. I must add that there are a lot of people praying for me and this period of no pain may be because of the prayers.🙏

• Posted

Did you end up having your root canal? I am coming to this thread late. My TN has been well controlled with carbamazepine for a year, but when I had a root canal 2 months ago I experienced breakthrough pain. The root canal was for a tooth on the Left side of my face where I experience the TN pain. My neurologist said to double the carbamazepine for the next few weeks. I also went to the ER for a pain shot in the bum. When I went for the crown I was OK because by then the root was dead. I know now for next time to double up the carbamazepine before any dentall work.
    • Posted

I did have the root canal and crown without incident. The carbamazepine is working well. Minor zingers now and then are reminders that the TN is still present, but am very grateful for the med.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.