Mother wandering off - have you used trackers?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

My mother has recently started wandering off so I was wondering if any of you had an experience using GPS trackers?

If so do you have any recommendations as to which are good? There seems to be a bewildering array of options to choose from (with a huge range of prices!). I've read a few comments about poor battery life being a problem - has anyone found this?

I don't really know a great deal about the options out there & would be very grateful if you could share any pros/cons, and if there are any particular features I should look for?

Thanks a lot,

Harry

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Harry,

I too would be interested. Happily wandering is not a problem but I should like to be prepared as it is a common problem.

Thank you for asking.

• Posted

Have you thought of a Mobile phone? There are sites where you can track your mobile phone. Good luck
  • Posted

Oh gosh no I'm sorry I can't help you out with trackers...........My mom wandered and we had to get police involved  sad  We had a front door alarm fitted in the end and also as my moms bed had been moved downstairs we bought a room devider  ( the kind that you can manovere into a huge play pen) and effectively 'locked her into her bed space' this stopped her from wandering around the house as well......not ideal but it kept her safe and gave us peace of mind.......It helped that my dad was still alive & living with her. Such a massive worry and very stressful for anyone living with anyone suffering from Alzheimers - people have no idea what its like. Good luck in finding tracking device - brilliant idea  smile

• Posted

Thank you Linda for that helpful note. My wife has been visiting her sister for four days. To my dismay I did not miss her: instead I enjoyed the break. Two years ago when she was away for a week I missed her terribly. I think the difference is a break from the worry , stress and making endless allowances for the quirks in behaviour.
  • Posted

Hi Harry 

I work within dementia care. Does your mother take any items with her when she wanders (such as a handbag)? I have know families to have used GPS trackers inside items which their family member would talk along with them whilst walking. 

Also there are other safety devices which many help. Pressurised mats under door mats are useful as they send alerts to your phone when activated. This may allow you to know when your mother is about to wander. 

There are also devices which you can record a message onto and this message is played when the pressurised mat is activated. Such as "Mum, it's ____. Please close the door and go back inside". 

- A x

• Posted

Hope this still helps you. Try trackimo it has a world wide coverage. And can be tracked any where via mobile phone. And plus it's light weight which can be carried any where which doesn't give any much hastle on the carrier.

• Posted

My problem with my husband in mid-stages of Alzheimer's is that he will wander away from me while we're shopping.  I have been looking at at item with Fastech that will vibrate or chirp when the items are separated by a programmable distance up to 50m.  This would work great for me but I wondered if anyone has any experience with this....there are no reviews on-line.

• Posted

I have just ordered a separation alarm, it is a cigarette pack size base unit and a key fob.  You can set the alarm to buzz you for up to 50 m.  This can be helpful if  and you are with your mom but become involved in a task, or while shopping, and you just need to know when to look up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.