Newly diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Well i have today been diagnosed with psorathic arthritis. I currently manage my occassional flare ups (twice monthly) with indometacin which are amazing. But wanted more info on this condition and its possible progression as kind of in the dark. Many thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Toni 

Sadly yes it does progress, how much is down to the individual and also how long it takes to be diagnosed, for me it took 2 years to be diagnosed and a lot of damage was done during this time, Which is irreversable. There are lots of medications that can be used to control /slow it down but again it depends which works for you. 

You really need to dicuss with your Rheumatologist what they plan to do, how progressed your condition is and what medication is available to you. 

You will find this group very helpful and imformative with many people having this condition. 

best of luck 

Rob 

• Posted

Hi Rob, the unknown is always the worse eh! This was the last thing i wanted but what with having psoriasis for the past 10 years + it was quite likely really although i never heard of it until i started having issues. The strange thing is that i only get issues with my left leg,ankle and foot, i take it this could spread to other areas???
    • Posted

Hi Toni 

Yes it can affect all joints, I have it in my Hands Fingers Wrists Ankles Knees Toes and Back, I got Psoriais at 27 im now 53ish diagnosed with PSA 2 1/2 years ago, I have not heard of PSA until beig diagnosed, Which is surprising considering 1 in 5 will develop PSA if they have Psoriasis, also very annoying that we are not informed we could develop it or to look out for the signs. Early diagnosis is good to prevent anymore damage and to get medication to slow it down sadly it does not go away. 

• Posted

Hi, madness how like you said we are not warned when diagnosed with psoriasis. I was 28 when firat diagnosed but thankfully it has calmed down and only have 2 patches compared to full body coverage. So you can imagine i was a lucky one until today's diagnosis. X

• Posted

I thought i was a lucky one.x
    • Posted

Hi thought I'd butt in your conversation 😊 I was diagnosed with PRA about 2 years ago and the only place I have ever had psoriasis is under my fingernails. I went to a dermatologist about four years ago about my fingernails and she called another consultant in as 'they had both never seen anything like it'. My fingers are clubbed and my nails lift off at the root.... Or rather they did until somebody suggested putting tea tree oil under my fingernails. My fingers are still clubbed and I get black patches under then but they are now held firmly on by the root. As you can see in no expert on the psoriasis side but I was just wondering for those who suffer more psoriasis whether tea tree oil may help. Just putting an idea out there 😊😊

• Posted

Hi Lisa.

Although prescibed i never used anything on my psoriasis and it has cleared up. I was covered head to foot but now has nearly all gone although i do have skin pigmentation on my upper arm which i have been told is linked which i thought a little bizarre as never had psoriasis there!!. Stress is a huge contributing factor and my does get worse when up against things.x

• Posted

I also have Psoriasis under my finger and toe nails but never used anything to control it, likewise I did not really bother treating my skin Psoriasis either too much to do and too lazy, It did have its flare ups and also good times when hardly had any. 

• Posted

I am so sorry for not replying sooner. I have been very unwell for a while but am happy to report I'm on the up. It's interesting you say about stress because the last year has been Hell on earth and it has certainly affected my nails more... The tea tree oil is keeping it at bay but had I not been using it I'm sure they would be in a far worse state.

Being diagnosed with PSA and swearing I didn't suffer psoriasis (as the dermatologist who I was sent to about my nails "had never seen anything like it"wink it's hard to take in that apart from that I have no psoriasis yet have this awful disease How wonderful for you how yours has cleared without using the stuff prescribed. I do like a happy story 😆😆🤗🤗🤗🤗

Lisa

X

• Posted

Under your nails untreated just wondering if they hurt when you knock them? When mine were really bad they would often wake me in the night throbbing so much I would have to get up and run them under warm water. I've not had that since using tea tree oil. Also they go black underneath which is easy for me, I just wear dark nail varnishes but I'm just interested if yours go black too and sometimes throb unbearingly.

Sorry, hi Robert! Been ill and trying to catch up with things but not very successfully! I'm so behind the rest of the world right now I don't know which way is up! Hope you are well

Lisa 🤗🤗

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear you not been too good, Glad to hear your feeling better. 

No my nails do not go black but my nails do get very brittle, I am still waiting for my new medication (cimzia) good and bad days as usual but the cold is not helping. 

All the best 

• Posted

Hi Robert

Hopefully the good days outweigh the bad 😊

I know I've suggested tea tree oil for the psoriasis under the nails but for the brittleness rubbing them with olive oil or baby oil is good. Also if you can face going to a make up counter (the ladies will help you) there are many varnishes (non coloured!) that are to help brittle nails. Not allowed to mention Companies on here I believe but a famous door to door make up company do excellent ones which work and when on offer will set you back £3 ish. They have completely stopped my brittle nails.

Hope that helps

Have a great weekend

😊😊??

Lisa

• Posted

Hi Toni,

You might be interested in these...

Rheumatology

Psoriasis

Mayoclinic

Each of these is an organization as opposed to commercial. You can learn alot by visiting each aite

Psoriatric arthritis is capable of progressing. That said it is 2016 and so much more can be done for all rheumatic diseases today than any time in history.

Take you medication as directed, get quality rest, sleep soundly, eat responsibly, depend upon range of motion exercises, and follow with your rheumatologist even when you feel well

Indomethicine has been around since the 1960s so you are taking a medication with a lot of history.

You are very welcome.

judith

• Posted

Thank you Judith.

I will look into the sites tou mentioned. Never really focused on my health all that much but now is the time that i must start taking caring of myself. Again many thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.