advice please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello can anyone put my mind at rest im 48 and been told i need a Hysterectomy , after they found overactive cells in my womb, which could turn to cancer so the doctor said.So they taking it  all out . I am so scared i have read some real horror storries on the net over the last few weeks and am really scared can anyone please help .

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Paula try not to worry so much, everything will be fine and it will be over before you know it. If this surgery will save your life from getting cancer then it shouldn't be a hesitation and yes some people have had negative experiences after having a hysterectomy and some haven't so don't Google things cause it will just worry you more. I had a TAH a month ago due to having stage 1B endometrial cancer and now have to do radiation but you are the lucky one cause you don't have cancer yet and your dr wants to make sure you dont get it so trust that the dr has your best interest at heart. When is your surgery ?

• Posted

Hi

What are you scared of... I had the op in March and it's the best thing that could have happened

I had the whole factory taken out , full blown menopause which I am doing cold turkey

My recovery wasn't to bad either. Just do what your body allows

I am 48 too x

Wish you all the best

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply im so scared of the pain after the op , will i get a lot?
    • Posted

Paula everybody is different , I hurt for a week but not a lot and I only had parecetmol , I was offered morphine in hospital which helps , I had my op around 5pm and I was walking around next day

Just take it easy and you will be fine

• Posted

Pain is to be expected after a major operation. Your dr will give you pain meds to take at home just take it easy when you get home and let your body heal. You will have some discomfort when getting in and out of bed and just moving around but as each day passes it will get better.
    • Posted

Hi Paula, I was 61 when I had my hysterectomy, I had stage 1A cancer so thankfully it was caught early no thanks to me as I had ignored the symptoms for years, you have been lucky enough that it has been discovered pre-cancer, it's a no-brainer (as my son would say) it is the only thing to do really, I don't know of any alternatives. I am one of those ladies who experienced absolutely no pain whatsoever afterwards...none, I never took a single pain killer, the only thing I did get was a bit of wind pain and a bit of constipation, but this was sorted out with over the counter stuff, I have also put on a bit of weight which is annoying, I have been fine other than these things, you may also be the same as me and if not you will be given pain relief after you come round from the anaesthetic, the nurses won't let you suffer, I was out of bed the very next day and able to lie on my side the same day without discomfort, I went home after 3 days and was walking around my garden and into the copse at the back of my house walking my 2 dogs the same day, my neighbour almost had kittens and shouted at me LOL, this happened just under 2 years ago and I feel great, glad I had it done but then I didn't really have a choice. 

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi Paula im a week post op and like you i was so scared. But the pain has been bearable.like very bad period pains but with pain killers it goes . Im home now would say just listening to my body have plenty of rest to aid your recovery. You will be ok take care xx
  • Posted

Hello Paula I'm also 48 mother of 3 . I had a full hysterectomy about 8 weeks ago now and I'm feeling great! I had lots of issues and the final thing was I had a tumor in my uterus so doctor said it's all going ..So had my surgery they took it all .. I just had my 6 week check up and everything is good. Tumor was nothing. I have to say I was pretty scared also.. I had the 5 little incisions and vaginal removal . Little sore for the first few days but after that it was good.. No heavy lifting or doing much at all.. Take it easy relax and heal! You will be fine.. please let me know how you are.. Tish

• Posted

Thankyou so much Tish , all this advice is helping . I know i have to have it done but i did the wrong thing when i found out by serching on google and read lots of horror storries that scared me to death thanks for all your advice x
    • Posted

Your very welcome.. Don't read Google ...lol

I have to say it was alot easier then I ever expected I also was scare and that is normal. That was my biggest worry was how much pain was I going to be in.. I held my husband's hand until I went in and he said what's wrong what's your worry and I said pain he said they won't let you be in pain they will give you something .. And that was true they asked me you need anything for pain. I think I took something the first night and after that I was good.. So please dot worry get it done your life is more important .. Keep me posted please.

• Posted

Hi paula had my TAHwith everything taken away june last yr due to cancerous cells in my womb, b1 had three radiation treatments after as a precaution was in hospital 5 days had no pain and no trouble going to the toilet just slight bloating which I took pappermint oil capsules for ,this was one of the best sites I went on . Also it is the most common op for women to have , I know its no use saying dont worry but im sure you will be fine.
  • Posted

Hi Paula,  Overactive cells do not mean cancer, only that they could turn cancerous if left.  Don't worry about the op.  There will be virtually no real pain afterwards.  I had a total hysterectomy including removal of my appendix and was fine.  They give you a "happy button" to press, which releases a small dose of morphine as well as paracetamol every 4 hours for the first day.  I never needed to press my happy button because it got lost somewhere in the bed clothes anyway and I did not need it.  Don't believe any of the horror stories.  We are all different, just have some positive thinking, do as you are told by the hospital and you will be fine.  I had my op 7 weeks ago and I am feeling great now, although not doing any heavy lifting or anything like that, just gentle housework and ironing.  Walking for longer now. Start small and very gentle and think bigger as you go on.  I am 73 by the way and have always been active and healthy.

• Posted

Thank you so much Barbara, I am so glad i found all you lovely women to talk to  you have all put my mind at rest .

Do you get much bleeding after the op? thanks Paula x

• Posted

Hi Paula, No I didn't get much bleeding at all, hardly any in fact.  For the first 2 weeks after the op, I had a bit of watery brown discharge, so I wore panty liners which I found were sufficient and did the job.  Hope you get on all okay, I am sure you will.

Barbara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.