blood results

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a blood tests and doctor called me in today too say my serum urate levels were above range apparently they are meant to be within 140.0-360.0 umol/L mine were 408. Doctor said about something about gout but did not seem too worried but im worrying 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

First, don't worry smile sounds like your doc was just putting it out there as a possibility (not always helpful I know). Have you had any other symptoms of gout? Swollen painful toe/foot or other joint? If not then it's not necessarily an issue. Look up preventative measures, as in I know I should have been drinking a lot more water as dehydration seemed to play a big part in my gout flair ups.

• Posted

Hiya I think when I was around 16-17 I had gout and remember had to go to a&e and they said was gout and that was in my left foot but never since. I have had pain in my hand joints on my right hand and in my left knee but thats about it. I have looked up about it and got worried you know what googles like lol but Thank you for your reply I was just so worried. Yes I was told I need too drink more and loose weight which I am trying smile

• Posted

No problem. Yes, I'm bad at googling too much and getting myself really worried and wound up. Found this discussion forum more helpful than just trawling the internet In general.

As for stuff to try I've been using apple cider vinegar (two teaspoons in a pint of water twice a day), lemon in hot water, cherries and pineapple where possible and, primarily, lots more water than I was drinking.

I found I got very worried when the doctor told me it was gout (especially as the first doc I saw wasn't very nice) but after chats with other docs and stuff on here feel a lot better. You're not alone and you'll be ok smile

Try get some tips from your doctor, don't Google too much (Nhs website and this one aside perhaps) and ask questions here if you have any as there lots of people in the same boat

• Posted

HIya thanks for the reply, I am not 100% sure it ios gout as i havent got really any of the symptoms my doctor just assumed gout as my uric acid blood tests were raised so I am not 100% sure whats happening so rather worrying but I will agree with you I will only be using this site and any NHS website lol google is no good haha. Yes I will be drinking more as think that is another problem of mine + weight and diet which I am getting on top of slowly but surely x
  • Posted

Hi Chelsea, how old are you now? I got a gout flare up at 14, super skinny I've had 2 attacks since then I'm in my 50's now. Lack of water sets it off for me even though I'm not overweight. Certain foods will trigger gout in me. You need to find what is causing the gout flare ups. Most nightshade vegetables do cause hand flare ups in me. So you might want to look into avoiding them.

• Posted

Hello thanks for your reply, I am 23 and think had gout when was 17 after an incidentto my left foot but not 00% sure, I havent got gout at the moment well I don't think I have the doctor just said thats what can caus high uric acid blood results so I am rather worried. I am overweight and trying to sort that out aswell, I do not drink enough so am trying to also drink more also 

• Posted

You say that you've had only two attacks in 40 years, but say that certain food cause flair ups. But you've only had it twice! So these flair ups were 40 years ago? Is that really gout?

• Posted

My second attack happened 22 years later after age 14 then another one 6 years later. About 2 years ago since I was a bit sick an unable to workout I would feel tinges of pain or tiny flare ups. Cherry juice would take it away but sometimes would still feel pain, I researched a bit an came across my vitamin shop where the daughter spoke of her dad taking homeland & turmeric to ward off gout attacks. I started taking it, an I do have to admit that it's woo for me. No more pain or flares of any sort

• Posted

Homeland??? Bromelaine, also not woo but working for me. Smart spell is dumb.
    • Posted

No idea, am waiting to see the doctor in a few weeks with the results. My last test was 5.5 I think..
    • Posted

Does your doctor consider you have gout?

Did they aspirate the joint to look at the crystals in the liquid at any time?

• Posted

Yes, he considers me to have gout. No, no aspiration of any sort. My doctor is a doctor's doctor. He doesn't need evidence to determine it was gout. Being that I'm petite, lightweight, and small bone he wasn't keen on putting me on allopurinol. I'm allergic to many meds such that Indomethacine is the only pill I can take. Exercise has been my lifesaver, because as from drinking tons of water, it also circulates my blood that helps break down some of the crystals..

• Posted

I have no idea what a "doctor's doctor means." You must have a unique relationship with him though, having been with him for what, 40 years?

Aspiration is the only definitive way of knowing if someone has gout. Anything else is a medical detective work (which is perfectly valid). Most doctors will go for the guess. Why? It's cheaper and much less intrusive for the patient, and there are very strong indications of gout rendering the definitive test useless. So, if the patient has attacks of gout, has high uric acid levels, pain in the big toe... if it's got feathers and a beak and walks like a duck - it's a duck.

But you don't have the symptoms of gout! You don't have high uric acid levels. You may have had two attacks when you were a teen (there are other things which will cause those symptoms at that age), and you have been convinced for 40 years since that these herbal remedies are stopping you having a disease which you probably never had.

• Posted

Doctor's doctor means he only treats medical doctor's and nurses. I've had 2 attacks as an adult. One as a kid. And my gout is not exclusively on my big toe, it is between my third and fourth metatarsal. Where it becomes highly inflamed, swollen with no redness but it hurts to bend the toes to walk. Big toe pain is mild an caused mostly from walking on uneven pavement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.