Possible Deep Vein Thrombosis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have been having health problems that doctors currently have been unable to diagnose. I suspect that it has something to do with thrombosis. I get cramps and palpitations in my lower legs, even in my feet. Pains in my calf and the back of my knees and sometimes in the lower hamstring. When the sensations are most prominent, and I feel my worst, I feel a strong rushing, as though blood squeezing through the veins in my legs. When I try to stretch them out by bending over and touching my toes my lower legs almost feel like they are vibrating! Rather strange. And my calves - especially the calves - and hamstring are uncharacteristically tight. Does this sound like DVT? I also have shortness of breath and pains in my chest, pains which appear to be at least in part lung related. I had my heart checked and the doctors could find nothing. I have had 4 EKGs, two blood tests and chest x-ray as well as a general checkup by 8 people. But none have taken my concern of thrombosis seriously. Any help very much appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear you are not feeling right i can only say from my own experiences with ongoing DVT issues but yours sounds similar to P.E rather than DVT have you had any form of ultra-sound doppler scan yet? DVT symptoms are redness in area swelling and in area affected it will feel extremely warm to the touch . Do you have any of these if so persue with seeking medical advise A&E Should be able to get you an ultrasound done if its necessary, blood tests to check your INR Score will be a big indicator of underlying problems with blood clots are you taking Anti coagulants or heparin? Usually there is an ubderlying factor to what causes DVT ie immobility, post op ,or injury.... Though its not always the case I personally have an unproveked issue  and will be on Warfarin for life they tell me and yet they have not got a clue as to what caused it to happen started in back of my knee and by 6 weeks it had travel up higher and increased in size now classed as extensive DVT ..still having tests done and its been almost ayear now......You should also be aware the symptoms for celulitus are very similar too and often mis-diagnosed for DVT . this i found out for myself  where i live they are not exactly quick of the mark its taking forever to get any answers if i get any at all....hope you find this info helpful and that you are successful in getting a diagnosis just persist if you dont feel ther is any improvement in way you feel.

regards Michelle

• Posted

Yikes! I had a DVT once in my right leg and I took my blood thiners for six months and that was that. I never knew it could go on for a year or more. I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with such a bad situation. I hated being on blood thiners. I could never get the level right. A year after my DVT I had a stroke so I was afraid they were going to put me on blood thiners again but nope, just asprin. lol

You take good care of yourself. Hugs.

• Posted

I agree with Nichelle,

DVT

red, hot

swelling

secere pain when pressing hard with your finger into calf and thumb on top of tibia.

,kind regards

,judith

• Posted

I have to agree with Michelle. My DVT was nothing like what you are describing. I went for several days maybe 4 days before it was serious and I had to go to the hospital. But there is no way i could have gone any longer. It had started to swell and as Michelle explained it was red and hot to the touch and as I remember, it hurt really bad all the time. At first I thought I had pulled a muscle in the calf and went to the chiropractor and he is the one who told me that it might be a blood clot.

I am sorry that you are dealing with an unknown issue that is making you uncomfortable. And goodness 8 doctors! I hope you find out what it is soon. Remember to advocate for yourself because no one else will.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose then it may be something worse, such as heart failure. That could explain alot of this I suppose. Doesn't seem like this is going to end well.

• Posted

I hope you're okay. I've been having left leg pain and issues about a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of getting it checked.. have a long flight coming up..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.