I could post this in the Health Anxiety forum...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. The title says is it all. And I want to be sure to convey my respect, good wishes and hopes for cancer sufferers and loved ones; I hope that my anxious questions that follow don't offend.

First of all, let me get to the point. I'm a 36 year old male health anxiety and depression sufferer. This developed in my late teens, focused on the time when my godfather fought a brave battle against endocrine cancer. He was just 41 when he passed away.

Over the years my mental and physical health has been up and down. However, with the support of my wife (a mental health nurse in fact!), parents and close friends, I keep moving forward.

Why am I posting? Lung Cancer.

I am an ex-smoker. Neither proud nor seeking pity for such a stupid, destructive addiction. Off and on I smoked for 15 years, 10 a day at its peak, marlboro lights. I have launched numerous failed attempts to break free, but finally succeeded in November last year through hypnosis.

Physically I experienced the numerous withdrawal symptoms over 3-4 months, but by the summer I felt good overall.

For the last week or so, from nowhere, I've had a pretty constant discomfort in the right hand side of my chest. Quite sharp. Nothing shifts it in terms of pain relief. Due to my health anxiety I would certainly admit that it is constantly on my mind. No cough, weight loss, bloody spit etc. I have had some night sweats, though these have come and gone for over a year (coinciding with me changing to a new antidepressant, Sertraline).

I would greatly appreciate your view and experience.

Nick

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So many people post on this site "what do you think?", so I will tell you what I have told all the others - go to your doctor! It is impossible for anybody on this forum to diagnose, or disagree with a doctor's opinion, as we are not medically trained. We can only share our own experiences, listen, sympathise and offer support. If you have chest pains make an appointment and your doctor will probably send you for an x- ray. Have you discussed this with your wife, who is probably better placed than any of us being a mental health nurse, to offer you advise?

• Posted

Joy, you're right. I have neither made an appointment with my GP or talked to my wife. I will.

Thanks

Nick

• Posted

Hi. It's been two months since we heard from you - did you go to the doctors and talk to your wife? Let us know how you got on.

• Posted

do you think this is anxiety thats making you sweat  i have health anxiety and everything i get  i think its something bad your not on your own hundreds like us chin up  its a constant battle i know but we can beat this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.