inferior petrosal sinus sampling

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi just wondered if anyone has has the ipps and does it hurt ..im a bit worried and have to have ot done in  few weeks 

thanks 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  I have had IPSS within the last 5 years.  It does not hurt but does give you some weird feelings.  A tube is inserted into your groin and a wire directed past your other organs up to where the tunour may be.  You can be given a sedative.  It does not hurt at all but as I say it can give you a bit of an odd feeling (hardly surprising really.  You may also have another injection which you can feel going through the tube.  The staff are very nice and very sympathetic and you will have a dedicated nurse at your side the whole time.  It is a test that is well worth doing.  I do hope you get on ok.  Pleaase let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Hi Vicky 

Thanks for your reply . I was worried it would hurt .  As you said you didnt feel pain just a sensation so hopefully thats all i will feel too. Having said that im still anxious.  How did u get on eventually?  Were you diagnosed with cushings?

• Posted

Hi,  Yes I was diagnosed with Cushings in 2012 and had my tumour removed in December of that year.  I had my op at what was then Frenchay Hospital by Mr Nelson.  Unfortunately I had an infection so did not recover as quickly as others do.  I have to take certain tablets on an ongoing basis as the Pituitary Gland controls just about everythin your body does!  Do keep in touch and I can talk you through each procedure as I found it.  Others may react differently.  Don't worry, getting the diagnosis is the really hard bit.  We are such a rare breed that most GP's will never see someone with Cushings!  It does mean however that because we are so special they wwill be really interested in your progress.  Take care.

• Posted

so are you free from it now .. do you still have any symptoms.. to be honest i just wanr it all over with .. hate the way I look .. ive got hundreds of questions ha ha 

• Posted

I do not have any symptoms now but my metabolism is regulated by drugs.  As I said the Pit Gland controls almost everything that your body does.  This is what I have to take, others are different.  I hope someone else will reply.  I have to take

?Thyroid tablets

Hydrocortisone

Desmopressin

?I have Diabetes Insipidus which is nothing to do with ordinary Diabetes or sugar.  It makes you wee a lot and you may become dehydrated so the Desmopressin tablets stop you from weeing during the night.  Thyroxine is to regulate my thyroid.  Hydacortisone is to regulte the amount of Cortisol.  Cortisol is the "fight ot flight" hormone which is greatly increased  in Cushings.  The weight gain is caused by the fact that everything you eat goes straight to fat.  I put on 4 stone and lost 1 stone almost immediately after the recovery from the op.  I am now back down to the size I was before. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi yes it does. I dont mind if i am on drugs for the rest of my life I just want my life back.  Sure I will have to take it one step at a time.  Thanks for replying and take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.