New pains

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am almost 5 months post op from a L3-S1 spinal fusion and i am all of a sudden having pains between my shoulder blades down to my left arm. The area goes numb, has tingling, this that and the other. the pain is getting more consistant and annoying. It's hard to deal with.... It reminds me of the pains i had going down my left leg... I have an appointment with my PC on tuesday to hopefully get an MRI done and see whats going on... Has anyone run into this issue?? I've had 5 lumbar surgeries and now that the fusion has been done im noticing all this pain in other areas of my back... Not to mention my back still hurts A LOT.  i can definitely move around more than before the spinal fusion which is amazing! This sucks!! sad 

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm about 2 months ahead of you (L4-S1 ALIF) and I'm in agony. Not got any upper back issues but sever pain on extending my lumbar spine.

Spoke to Surgeon last week and going back in to get more metal work in from posterior side. Needs shoring up to try and stop pain on extending. This will be my 4th op on this area.

Fusion has left me with a totally numb left thigh so I can sympathise with how you are feeling.

Your pain definitely sounds like nerve damage or slipped disc in upper spine.

Hope you get sorted soon.

• Posted

Don't want to panic anyone but my lumbar fussion also left me with chronic upper back pain for 7 years, I couldn't take anymore so asked for an MRI it then took a further 3 years and loads more MRIs before I was diagnosed with a thoracic arachnoid cyst, this is extremely rare but just make sure that it is disc or nerves and nothing more serious, my surgeon refused to see me once this was diagnosed. unfortunately I dont have a case because they managed to drag it out over 3 years plus they all stuck together and said I was born with it, NO I wasn't it was caused by the surgery!!

• Posted

Its terrible!!! sad i can never get comfortable... i hope you feel better!!! i've only had lumbar surgery so im a little nervous if we do the MRI with my back history... just so scared!

• Posted

oh my goodness!!! im so sorry!!!!! sad that's so scary!!!! I guess i really should get this mri done to make sure it's nothing more serious... how are you feeling now!?! 

• Posted

I'm back on morphine as of this afternoon. Hopefully it'll give me some relief before the next surgery.

Good luck with your MRI. That is the danger with fusion that symptoms move further up your back.

What medication have the PC got you on?

• Posted

I hope it gives you relief!!!! I will keep you in my thoughts!!!! I'm not on any pain medicine right now. the doctors here in MA are very very very strict with all of the opiate epidemic here. So i went out and got my medical Marijuana card. Working great for me!

• Posted

I don't want to scare you it is extremely rare, also what I find is if I'm anxious or stressed even cold where I shiver it dosnt help it causes spasm which lead to nerve pains etc so try and relax if you can I know it's difficult when your in pain,

Iv been like this for 13 years now and just came off opiods because I had no quality of life, I'm in chronic pain daily but I was even with meds so would rather have my mind working and not be on that poison where I was zombied all the time, it's been hell but got to learn to live with it now, let me know how you get on Hun x

• Posted

i'm not sure why my comment is being moderated... i didn't have a link... so strange... I've been getting worse for about 11 years now. sad opiods are very scary! they always made me sick and i couldn't function and always woke up the next day crappy. it was horrible! I hope you all feel bettter! thanks so much!

• Posted

I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to medication. Nothing really affects me. I've been on 8 50mg Tramadol , 8 500mg paracetamol, 4 50mg diclofenac, 100mg amitryptiline and 5mg diazepam for over 2 years. I've come off carbamazepine but that's it. Hopefully the BuTrans will help this time round.

Keep us posted on your MRI results.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear your having more problems, normally when the arms being affected it could be to do with a trapped nerve in the upper back or neck or disc problems in this area, also take into consideration that if you've have fusions then your upper spine will be baring a lot of weight that the lumbar spine would normally take, I hope this helps, try doing light stretching exercises with your arms and neck but get advice from an expert first you don't want to make the problem worse, make sure you get an MRI to just to make sure there isn't anything else to worry about, good luck Hun and let us know how you get on 😊

• Posted

I have slipped disk L5 and get a lot of upper back pain. Like one of the other people said the upper back is doing more work and you could be compensating in other areas. The spine is not designed to be fused but is designed to move so with any spinal fusion there is likely to be problems in other parts of back as a consequence of it not being able to move as it wants to. I hope you feel better soon. I find an infra red heat lamp helps ease mine
    • Posted

thank you so much!!! Everyone is amazing in this forum!!!  I hope you feel better!!! i hope my PC gets me the MRI and i can see whats going on. I will post an update on tuesday hopefully!! feel better!!! I als have a heated blanket and a heating pad and that works amazing!

• Posted

I definitely sympathize with you . I had a lamenectomy 4 yrs ago and it left me paraplegic for 2yrs because these idiots fail to read the MRI which showed I had a kidney infection the rest is history I wish you all the best in finding comfort
    • Posted

I don't understand how there are so many horror stories when it comes to back surgery yet it still continues to happen daily, surely in today's age these cases should be extremely rare, sadly not for a lot of people who then take years of torment before they learn to live with the after effects, anyone considering any spinal surgery should visit there pain clinic, there literally bursting at the seams taking care of patients after neuro surgeons have failed to do what they get paid a lot of money for, I hope you also find comfort Michael

• Posted

Thank You Caroline I am not in any pain and though it's been a long road I'm grateful to be walking again but I have severe neuropathy from the waist down and most of my bodily functions are back Ive got to stay positive. One day at a time.

• Posted

That's great news Michael and you seem really positive, best of luck x

• Posted

oh my goodness!!!!!!! oh my goodness. That is so so scary!!! i hope you're feeling better!!! sad 

• Posted

Sorry my messages are all coming through now so there a bit scattered, I'm not trying to scare you or anyone but I wish I new more about my surgery before I had it, I'm one of the unlucky ones and I'm sure there are plenty success stories but just make sure your surgeon tells you what to expect after surgery😊

• Posted

i really wish i never had my first surgery, but i was in a bad situation...it was either i couldn't walk or surgery.. =/ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.