Shingles and Lung Pleural thickening?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Greeting Shingles group,

I contracted shingles which affected my chest and breathing. I have finally improved after 2 months but my doc requested a CT scan.

CT scan came back with "pleural thickening on bottom of right lung". They said it is probably nothing and have scheduled another CT scan in 6 months.

Can shingles cause pleural thickening or is this something unrelated? I am a little worried but the docs seem to be unconcerned?

Appreciate any comments or advice.

Many thanks,

Rob

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have asthma and I swear there is something going on or related to this.  CXR was normal.  Dr. Said, it's ok!  Just don't think so.... 

Repeat CT may be to see if the pleural thickening resolves?

• Posted

Hi Rob, I contacted shingles 9 months ago, my rash started on my foot but the pain radiated on my right side right below the right breast and the pain was internally I ended up with pneumonia in my right lung the pneumonia went away but beings they did not give me the antiviral right away I get shingles about once a month to your question I have infection in my right lung all the time off and on and my breathing is more shallow..so I would say yes, I hope you get to feeling better, was your pain in your chest? Or your ribs?
    • Posted

Thanks Lori for your insight! I do not have pain in lung just trouble breathing at times as the shingles virus is affecting my cardiac/chest area internally...such a tough condition to battle!

Thanks

Rob

• Posted

Hi Rob

By the time six months passes, the lung issue may have resolved.

If your physician saw something that was alarming, he would not be waiting six months. He is just double checking

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thanks Judith,

Your comments are very true...if it was serious, they would be on it! I hope it goes away. I was 70% over the shingles and I made the mistake of getting the flu vaccine..shingles became active again and now on round 2 of antivirals..

Thanks for your comments Judith...much appreciated.

Rob

• Posted

Wow... I will put off my flu shot.  Dr talked about giving it to me in 2 wks.
  • Posted

Hey Rob,

So aftervthe shingles clear how much time must pass before one can safely have the flu vaccine?

thank you

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.