Update from Hospital visit for my back pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

An update i saw my consultant yesterday for my reoccurring back pain.

I am now on the waiting list for an MRI and a TENS machine.

Any advice for both these would be most helpful.

Thank you to all that have been very helpful and supportive on here, especially a couple of you. They know who they are smile

Take Care

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm going to try this again I tried posting once and it didn't post so let's try it again.

I have a TENS unit and I just want to say that you can reuse the sticky pads over and over

again so use them carefully and make sure to save the plastic thing that you stick them

to. I've noticed with my TENS unit my nine volt battery only lasts about 2 hours which is

very frustrating. However I've known other people with tens units that have batteries that

last a lot longer than that I hope yours does too

As for the MRI I am an extremely claustrophobic person. So I had to come up with a system

to get me through it. What I do is I have to have my husband with me or someone who I feel

comfortable could pull me out of the machine in a disaster. Then I asked the attendant to give

me a cloth for my eyes and I tell her to not tell me anything or talk to me at all until she's

almost done and then just tell me that she's almost done. The reason for this id because I'm

off in another world thinking about other things. and I don't want her talking to interrupt that.

Couple other things to remember if your overweight like I am there's not going to be a lot of

room and the tube will brush against your elbows which is likely to freak you out. And lastly it's loud.

Some MRI operators have headphones with music playing. I've only had that once and it was

awesome. I hope you get that with your MRI.

Good luck! hugs to you

• Posted

Thank you for your help, i am not normally claustrophobic but i guess i wont know until i am there in the machine!

take care

• Posted

Hi Dawn

In the USA we have some MRI machines which are called open...you can see out of them. Given a choice, I am happy to drive a distance to go with the open MRI.

With magnetic imaging comes a lot of noise. For this reason, I check with my physician to see if a Cat scan could be substituted.

TENS...I have the Meda One Step from the early nineties. I fibd the modulate mode to be most comforting. A new battery fully charged lasts about 5 hours. Ipurchase the batteries from the medical supplier because they last longer. Having an old machine, I have lines of various lengths and biforcates as wekl I do keep three batteries so I have one in the Meda, one in the charger, and one on hand for immediate use. I have even slept in mine.

Way back, I was a test patient for the first TENS at the University of Chicago!

I suggest you have your physician use black permanent marker to mark the positions for the electrodes. Our skin oils reject the permanent nature of the marker. Electrode placement can optimize the effectiveness of the TENS.

TENS is a fabulous alternative to narcotics Pain increases, increase the stimulation. I begin higher for a bit and then back off some. You only need enough stimulation to short circuit the pain message to the brain.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi

i am in the uk and dont have that option i dont think.

the tens is being supplied by the hospital so if i dont get on with it i will return it.

thanks for your help also

dawn

• Posted

I wad told by a doctor that a closed MRI is much better then an open MRI. My first MRI was on an open one. And I had no insurance so I had to pay for it. Then I went to the doctor with it and he said he wanted to get more detail and it would have to be with closed MRI. He also wanted contrast die. So I ended up having to pay for a second MRI because the open one was not good enough for the doctor. So from now on I demand a closed MRI even though it's very hard for me to do.

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee

So sorry...I can not take the contrast because I also have Myasthenia Gravis

I am going to remember thatvthe closed version gives greater detail...maybe the doc would allow me a valium...

hugs

judith

• Posted

i wont know until i get there but i do have a date do i have 4 weeks wait which i guess isnt too bad really.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.