Vestibular Neuritis for 3 months. Does anyone share these residual symptoms?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Diagnosed with VN (42% hypofunction in my right ear on the caloric exam). Three months into the arduous process, I've started VRT with some nice results.

Symtoms wax and wane and many come and go throughout the day. Brain fatigue is still very common and I realize it can take time to really improve and get better.

Some of the symptoms include:

1: Feeling funny when a car stops. This can happen even when continually stopping in traffic. This is a big one for me. So weird.

2. Unsteadiness on anything that is not a solid surface.

3. Brain fatigue after reading for too long, watching a film, or having a long conversation while tilting my head.

4. A little woozy after exercise.

5. Random dizziness / brain fatigue at moments throughout the day.

Do any of you share these symptoms?

Also, how has VRT gone for all of you?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes to all of the above and I'm on month 7!

• Posted

Haha, thanks again! So glad I'm not alone. This thing makes your mind go haywire! Hope you clear up soon.

Best

Andy

• Posted

Yes to all of that, I am at year 4.  VRT killed a bunch of time and I tried to be conscientious and got sciatica from too much effort (tried to do as Dr said).

Sciatica lasted 9 months.

• Posted

Wow, that's quite a while to have VN. How are you feeling these days?

Sorry to hear about the sciatica. That's an unfortunate bonus.

• Posted

Thx for asking. I am retired, rest a lot in the afternoon, imbalance and fatigue. Just look after self, gave up on Drs. At least I do not have anxiety that seems to bother so many on this topic. Just living is my VRT.
    • Posted

Glad anxiety is not an issue! Oh yeah, going about your day is definitely key to improving.
  • Posted

I have 30 percent left ear. I have those symptoms but much worse and then some. VRT not working. Therapist has no idea why. Have had a real bad past 4 days.
    • Posted

Thanks for chiming in. This can be rough. Maybe they have to modify your exercises?

Hang in there!

• Posted

Yes I think we all suffer those symptoms plus lots of nights where we can't sleep. Due to tingling, brain zaps,feeling like we are falling,and tinnitus whether it's high pitched or like a wave sensations. Things in life we could do and now think twice about it. Trying to plan our day around how we feel and anxiety wherever we go. My advice is once all your scans etc come back clear try and do the vestibular exercises gently and build up slowly.dont over do them or you will have days were you feel awful. Try to build up the health of your body.limit tv computers, phones,keep them away from your ears. It's why fry not wi fi.... eat healthy none process foods, try taking ginkgo supplements and vitamin d ... use focus when you get weird sensations like counting to 100 and reverse. Works for me and I'm nearly 11 months into this. I can now walk or jog 20mins using the counting method when I become unsteady I say no to my body and focus on the count it does work but you need to practice this. Drink plenty of water and reduce process table salt worst thing for our bodies. Hope that helps. If conditions are bad take cinnazine travel sickness tablet that works. I use it when I travel in cars.

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Vitamin D is a must for me. Plus, my levels were already low. Thanks for including the tip on ginkgo. I've seen it elsewhere and it appears to help. I'll probably get some.

Focus is also crucial. I, too, try to focus on the task at hand instead of on the dizziness, should it arise.

Thanks for getting back!

• Posted

Hi, I had a caloric test which revealed 33% weakness in my inner left ear and have been feeling off balance for about two months. I started VRT last week and hoping for the best. How are you doiing these days? Any improvements at all? 
    • Posted

Hi Kim, Glad ive found someone with a recent post, I also recently had caloric test 37% left ear, been unable to fully engage in all the VRT given due to constant headaches. in my 9th week and no signs of improvement, fingers crossed. 
    • Posted

Hi Kim,

?I was diagnose with VN, then migraine associated vertigo and then PPPD.  I was told I have 25% caloric loss and I have issues with big area and malls and stores.  It's so difficult to drive and I've lost a lot of independence from this.  

?It all started after a sinus infection I had when my daughter was only 10 weeks old.

?Do you or did you get the derealization, where it feels like you are not in reality?  It's a freaking scary feeling and one of my worst feeling.  

?If you have any tips or information I'd greatly appreciate it.  My doctor put me on Imipramine and I don't think it's working as well anymore because I'm not able to do the things I did two years ago.  I am also on .25 mg clonazepam at night before bed and all I think it's doing is helping me sleep.

?Thank you for any information.

Nicole

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with VN over 2 years ago and undertook VRT. I did improve though not dramatically, it has been a long haul, and I still experience some residual issues much as you describe. Also if I get a virus or am overtired for whatever reason, these symptoms escalate. 

I sometimes get dizzy with the car stopping though I find this is happening  less and less. I think it has to do with light patterns through trees, bumpy roads or other car lights. 

If im walking in the dark then definitely have to be more careful and this happens even under artificial lighting.

All the others. On occasion but the fatigue and brain overload becoming less and less.

I truly don't expect it to ever resolve completely but I believe my brain is slowly but surely retraining itself.

good luck

christine

• Posted

Hello Christine,

Thanks a lot.

I understand all of what you refer to. Lighting can occasionally bother me as well, but a bit less every day.

As you say, the key words are "less and less." Nice to hear you are improving, however slowly! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.