Hiatal Hernia Surgery Worries

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 62 year old male that has dealt with acid reflux and chronic cough for close to 30 years. Have been using 40mg Nexuim for close to 20 years. My surgeon has determined me to have  a 2cm hiatal hernia and recommended surgery. Oddly enough, my symptoms have not been too bad over the last couple of months, but i know they can worsen at any time as they has in the past. The anxiety is terrible as i read some of the horror stories. I am also on blood thinners which make things worse. Any advice out there?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Very sorry to hear of your issues. An epidemic out there of acid reflux disease and the doctors are only trying to deal with it with Nexium . You aren't the only person I've heard of who is been on the stuff for 20 years plus. My NP wanted to put me on the stuff and I refused. My symptoms are getting better on their own with VERY careful diet and rest. I hope you find an answer.

• Posted

Oh so sorry I haven't had a surgery- that's why I've said I healed myself before I went down what I will call the slippery slope of hiatal Hernia/ GERD syndrome.

• Posted

Thats brilliant. I hear what you are saying and I would love to be drug free. On ranitidine but every time I try to cut down get a flare up. frown Have tried a very very careful diet and eating small meals but still get flare ups. I wonder if the body is compensating when I stop the ranitidine.

• Posted

Hi Susan

?I wonder if slippery elm powder would work for your reflux. One to two desertspoons in a smoothie daily helped me. It forms a covering over the mucosal lining and helps it to heal. Start it for a couple of days before not taking the ranitidine as it is a natural therapy it takes a little longer to start to work than medications. Not sure what your diet is but vinegar and acidic and spicy foods will irritate the lining even in small amounts. Have a very small meal at night two to three hours before going to bed and stay sitting up while it digests. smile

• Posted

I have a small hiatal hernia my endoscopy doesn't say the messaurements. It doesn't bother me but I have a small inflammation in the small intestine and the duodenum and the doctor gave me 40 miligrams of Nexium. I won't have surgery until is very bad. I am 46

• Posted

i am 48 years old, male from the philippines. I was on heavy PPI due to gastritis and esophagitis caused of course by gerd which is a result of hiatal hernia. i was only discovered 3 years ago after i had violent vomitting- with blood. I have ocassional globus sensation. what worked for me: i blend cucumber, ginger, honey and water and dink it daily. When i eat acidic food and didnt want to have PPI, I drink watermelon juice or carrot juice (fresh) before and after a meal together with domperidone for motility. the key is to avoid acidic food, each fresh vegetables and fresh fruit (not in cans or in bottles). the globus atacks once in a while but since I started the regimen last year, it has become manageable.

• Posted

What are globus attacks?? So glad you have taken control. I found that losing weight is key to recovery. Best,

Amanda

• Posted

it is a feeling the something is stuck in your throat- globus sensation- at times can can feel like a golf ball, sometimes a feeling similar to a hair. it can last for a day to a week to a month. this brings so much anxiety as there appears to be a feeling of suffocation but actually there is none. deep breathing and loosing weight worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.