Pain following female cystoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

2 days ago I had a flexi cystoscopy as I have kidney disease and have had a kidney removed a year ago but my current symptoms are bladder related. I forewarned them that I find it incredibly painful to urinate or have anything touching my urethra (during sex etc) and was assured it would be quick and painless however I found it extremely painful, I cried throughout the whole test and found it quite traumatic how much it hurt. They did however say everything looked ok which was reassuring. As expected it hurt a little to wee afterwards but that stopped within a few hours... what has followed is a day of crippling pain as though my kidney is still there and cramping up and then today I've not been able to eat for stomach pain and complete lack of appetite.

I just don't know if any of this is normal, should I go to hospital/see a doctor or is it just my body reacting to the procedure.

I am VERY infection prone and they didn't even check my urine before doing it which worries me but I don't feel particularly feverish or anything.

Has anyone else experienced such bad pain during the procedure or after?

Thanks in advance

Jess

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jess,

Cystoscopies can range from fairly painless to quite painful, be it rigid or flexible, man or woman. We all react differently. 

Given your experiene, in the future, consider asking for sedation, similar to what they give you when you have a colonoscopy.  No reason to have to go through that again.

Did they give you a prophalactive antibiotic at the time (or just prior) to the procedure. If not, make sure you contact the doctor at the very first sign of infection.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply.

I think it just came as a shock to me how painful it actually was after hearing so many people tell me it is painless.

They didn't give me any antibiotic so I will have to keep an eye on my symptoms and hope infection is not what's happening.

All being well I won't have to go through it again though!

Thanks x

• Posted

hi l had flexible and had no problems, but did actually have quite a bit of discomfort following earlier one with anascetic, were all different, but think it also depend how you are before its done, if youve already an area of inflammation or infection its going to aggrevate it. Did they do a biopsy to make sure you dont have intersticial cystitus. l do have ic, but it is different symptoms for me from bacterial cystitus, with bacterial one l get bad pain and difficulty passing small amounts, dragging pain, and its often cloudy and strong, with ic flare up its more burning from urethra bladder stomach with bad bouts it can reach the kidneys, but bacterial is likely to affect your appetite along with pain, and sometimes fever can come a bit later. keep a check on it, They do usually give you a choice to have it with  anscetic, so you could do that if needed again.  l,d def go in and see your gp tomorrow, or a and e if it gets much worse, good luck.
    • Posted

Jim, not sure if I responded to you. My name is Michelle I've been having on off pain/discomfort which feels like it comes from my clitoris or maybe it's coming from my urethra. Have you heard of a condition called Interstetial Cystitis? It flares up with pain then can stop. I'm terrified to have a Cystoscope test. Is it safe to have a sedated test? I'm afraid of not waking up. Any advice? Thanks. Michelle

• Posted

Hi my name is Michelle I've been experiencing pain which is off and on comes out of nowhere it feels like the pain is coming from my clitoris area maybe it's my urethra? Don't no. Had some pressure in the past but nothing like this pain. The only thing to elevate the pain is pyridium an anelgesic. Have you heard of a condition called Interstetial Cystitis? I feel maybe that's me. I'm going to see a Urologist December 28 and I'm scared what he will say. I had one Urologist who emailed me and told me that I might have I.C then he tells me to come and set up an appointment for a Cystoscope. I didn't. I've read so many horror stories. I'm terrified to have it and be put to sleep and not wake up. Have you had a Cystoscope was it awake or asleep? Do you have advice?

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I've heard about Interstetial Cystitis but not sure how that would effect having a cystoscopy in terms of pain. That said, you have every right to ask for sedation given what you said. They generally use short acting anaesthesia which means you will wake up shortly after the procedure. It's generally very safe and I have had it several times for various procedures. The sedation is generally done in hospitals as an outpatient procedure but sometimes done in a well equipped urologist's office. 

Jim

• Posted

My heart goes out to you. I don't have your situation. Have you heard of sedated Cystoscope? I'm a female 53 having off and on severe pain which feels like it's my clitoris area but not sure. Have you heard of a disorder called Interstetial Cystitis?

Any advice?

God bless

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.