Gas symptoms with ibs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had IBS for years. This year I had a three month bout with a lot of

gas symptoms, such as noisy belly, frequent burping, nausea and gas from the other

end too! It was the first time I've bad for such an extended period. Saw my GI

Who gave me an anti gas diet. Eventually all symptoms cleared up.I

also ent back on lexapro for chronic anxiety over, which I think helped a lot.

Now gas symptoms are starting up again as I've been feeling stressed lately again.

Does anyone else react to street this way?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I had a stress IBS flare up last year, I got gas from both ends, agonising stomach pain and nausea. It eventually passed with buscopan and nurofen.
  • Posted

when i first got ibs i had terrible gas. low fodmap diet practically eliminated it. also stop drinking fizzy drinks, dont chew gum and watch out for artificial sweeteners, especially sugar alcohols (anything ending in 'ol' eg xylatol, manitol etc)

• Posted

I'm new here but I wanted to share because I was forever told my sympoms were IBS. Every doctor told me IBS and pushed me out the door.  IBS is just what they call your symptoms when they can not find an exact cause. I felt neglected and pushed aside. Finally as if the universe were looking out for me an old college roomie mentioned that I should be tested for Fructose Malabsorption. I took a hydrogen test and it came back positive. Basically all I had to do was stay away from fructose. You know the stuff that is in EVERYTHING hint hint "High fructose corn syrup" artifical sweeteners like "sorbitol" things with uneven amounts of fructose and glucose like mangos starfruit apples and grapes. Basically you meet with a nutritionist that specializes in fructose malabsorption and follow a strict diet. It took me about two months but I'm back to normal. No gas and no runny stool.  I hope this helps you as well as others. Kind regards, -Dean-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.