Three years today.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Apologies if I have written this before. Three years since bowel cancer surgery and all is well. That's all really, except best wishes to all. 

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you John - I am relatively new to this site have also had bowel cancer surgery-last year) So pleased you are doing so well.

At the moment I'm fine also.

Let's hope all of us will be survivors -

Sincerely

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan. It gets less stressful as time passes of course. And the waiting for results etc can be a worry. Do you want to post any details of your surgery? You could get support from people with a similar stage etc if you ever want or need it. Really pleased that things are going well for you too! Best wishes. 
    • Posted

John thanks for your kind advice. I am a lady of over 70 (even though I'm told I don't look it)-On this site it's usually me handing over advice to others who are mostly younger than me -

My next check is Feb 2017 (of course scan in Jan -haven't received appointment yet for scan but have appointment for consultant early Feb.

Thank goodness husband is a great help. (I am rather an anxious person!)

In case we don't mail again Happy Xmas and a very healthy 2017 to you.

(Stay well).

Susan x

• Posted

Thank you and Happy Xmas to you too! We sound quite similar - over 70, very supportive partner and a worrier. Luckily my Dr is very patient and there is a nurse who phones me as soon as she gets any test results etc. Summer is on the way here, so maybe I'll keep busier and think positive thoughts! Thanks again. John. 

• Posted

John you are very lucky with your support Nurse and doctor.I had a colonoscopy in London in 2000-but wasn't monitored after wards-moved here 15 yrs ago-that is why I ended up with colon cancer-(did do 'poo' test year before   2013-nothing showed  -after colonoscopy/scan 2014 was told had large tumour in colon.

Here in East Sussex things are not as they should be. Service is okay but I have to chase people if I want to ask questions -Nurse travels between 2 hospitals - The furthest of them was where I had my op -We don't drive (anymore) bit of a trek (20 plus miles away for visiting me). I get the impression that we have more nurse vacancies that we would like  colo-rectal nurses included). Of course we also have a lot of doctor vacancies.

Because I was quite a healthy woman I was fine after the surgery and have always tried to look after myself properly-exercise/good diet etc.

When I saw my consultant recently he said can eat everything but Exercise is most

important of all. My father had colon cancer and exercised into his 80's-(we think it kept him free of any more cancer which he'd had from late 40's). 

Father's side of family all had cancer-but not  my grandparents.(7 siblings)!

I was lucky no chemo for which I am very thankful.

Regards

Susan

• Posted

Hi. Yes, very lucky. Maybe because I live in a small(ish) city in NZ helps. I expected my CT scan results to take about 10 days, but they were with my Dr the day after! I don't think that is usual though. Sitting listening to the radio atm as there was a large earthquake further north and possible tsunami warning! 7.5 strength. We live near the sea, but latest is that we can stay put. Back to medical matters, I genuinely hope that all news is good for all of you. 

• Posted

Hi John, So pleased for you and Susan.

My husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer just over 2 weeks ago. He is 73 and normally fit and healthy.He had MRI and CT scans a week ago and now we are waiting for the results.I am so scared that it might have spread and the waiting is killing me.

Hoping for the best possible results.

Regards

Jenny.

• Posted

When is your next consultant appointment ? it should be pretty soon.

That is when you'll know results.

Until then try GP surgery to see if they have any information.

Keep your chin up - it may not be as bad as you think.

Thinking of you both.

Susan.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

We spoke to our GP a few days ago and she didn't know any more than we do.Following the scans we were told to wait for an appointment to discuss the results.

Jenny.

• Posted

Hello Susan,

Just had the best news.It is a very early cancer with no evidence of spread and they plan to operate in the next couple of weeks.Such a relief.

Jenny.

• Posted

Hello Jenny & husband

So pleased it's not as bad as you thought-t.g.

Keep us in touch with how your husband gets on after surgery.

Good Luck - Happy Xmas and a Healthy 2017!

Susan. 

• Posted

Hi guys.

I'm 32 female and have massive health anxiety. I'm going through massive stomach issues at the moment and went to the dr. She said she's 99% sure I have ibs but sent me for blood tests anyway. No inflammation showed up nor was I anemic or thyroid bad. Liver was fine and kidney function was above 60 which is the norm. I'm still having bouts of diarrea and am constantly checking for blood. I'm convinced I have bowel cancer. Am I being silly? Sorry if you feel I shouldn't post this but you guys seem to know what I'm talking about as you've actually been there x

• Posted

Sounds like a colonoscopy could be required. To see if there's a problem and hopefully give you some reassurance. It's normal to be anxious! 

• Posted

Congratulations John.  I'm a year behind you and, like you, all OK so far with my last colonoscopy, CT scan and blood test all clear.

• Posted

Keep up the good work! Recurrence gets less likely as time passes, so I am told. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.