NEED ADVICE AFTER BARIUM MEAL TEST

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI I NEED ADVICE ON WHATS NORMAL AFTER A BARIUM TEST. I HAD THIS TEST 6 DAYS AGO AND WAS TOLD I WOULD HAVE WHITE/PALE STOOLS AFTER. THERE WAS NO CHANGE FOR 4 DAYS BUT FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS I AM VERY CONSTIPATED AND HAVE CLAY LIKE STOOLS IS IT NORMAL THAT ITS TAKEN SO LONG TO PASS THROUGH MY SYSTEM

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello . after this test your supposed to drink lots of water to flush out your system . if you don't the paste clogged up your system. Hence the constipation. Drink lots of water call your doctor and ask if you can take something to relieve the constipation..

But the water should help. Good luck and God bless you on your heath journey.

• Posted

thank you for your reply, i ended up going to my GP who gave me a prescription for stool softner ( thankfully i only had to take it once- ended up being up most of the night going to the loo) i had been drinking loads of water and high fiber foods but i think as i have a sluggish digestive it just took alot longer to go through my system
  • Posted

Hi Vicky

Yes.

Drinking 8 ounces of water several times per day will lubricate the barium.

You might also consider prunes, raisins, any food that always makes you pass stool. Just do not over indulge.

Or consider a stool softner...ask your pharmacist to recommend one

If things become too painful, call your gastrointestinal physician.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

thanks for your reply judith, please see the reply i have posted above ( cant work out how to reply to 2 people) thankfully it wasnt a blockage i was worried as i had only read it takes 3 days to clear and 8 days later it took a stool softner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.