Sputum After Eating?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all! I am wondering if anybody else notices increase in sputum after eating. I will be feeling fairly decent for a few hours and then after I eat (maybe an hour later) I notice lots of sputum flooding my lungs. Then I start really feeling lousy. This happens all the time. I am wondering is it from the disease or something in the foods? I have asthma, pseudamonas aeruginosa and bronchiectasis. Thank you for any replies😊

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debra,

I get that problem if I eat eggs, cream or cheese etc.

so, have given up in those foods also I have given up milk.

Much better without any of those.

• Posted

I find that the process of eating often loosens up my sputum and makes it easier to cough up and out. Have not noticed a differential response in food types, but I have not done any experimentation in that direction as I don't find it a problem.

I find it a positive and tend to time my physio to a period that is an hour or two after eating.

• Posted

I gave up eggs and dairy recently for that reason.  It means making adjustments without eggs and cheese. 
  • Posted

Milk & cheese do it for me.....without these I get very little sputum. 

• Posted

Hi Debra

Yes - when I'm not at my best I'm the same, it really produces a lot of sputum. I find eating sandwiches seems the worst for me. It's really strange, but it does clear my lungs up to a point. I certainly need my physio about thirty minutes or so after eating. Or if I'm having a dinner I'm better off doing my physio about an hour beforehand. 

• Posted

You know it is one thing to have mucus, but it is another to have this  bx mucus.  It is so sticky.. I have had a few times where I thought I would choke on it.  I am so glad I gave up the dairy because it was out of control for me personally. Things have calmed down.  I am on an antibiotic now so not sure how much of the calm is attributed to the antibiotic.  Does anyone know what I am talking about concerning that sticky stuff? I take Guaifenesin, and that helps a bit too.  It seems to be working with the lower dose of 600 twice a day. My primary care doctor has told me that my Bx is minor based on my scan from January.  My pulmonologist says it is my asthma that is causing my chronic problem and my allergist says it is the Bx that is causing the exacerbations. Go figure???? No consensus. In the meantime, I continue to try all the newest gadgets.  After I purchased the salt pipe, my new primary care doctor who is Indian said that the salt pipe started in India and that it can be too drying. She suggests humidifiers in the home.  So, if I am going to use it, I should be in a humid area.  Just passing on what she said.  Kind of disappointed that I bought it since I thought it was going to take the place of the nebulizer and it would give me more portability. Anyone else with comments on the salt pipe? P.S. Sorry if I changed the subject, Debra.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.