My Diabetes fear... (ramblings of a looney toon)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, guys!

Before I begin, I want to let everyone know that I am set to be tested for Diabetes, so I am taking action, but I haven't been able to get an appointment with my GP before early December, so I have a bit of a wait ahead of me and I really need to vent. So, if you guys can help, offer any advice, put my mind at ease, in way mean, shape or form, it would be very much appreciated.

So, I'm David, I'm 28, from the UK. Admittedly, I am overweight, I'm about 19 stone, which is about 266 pounds, and I stand at about... I dunno, maybe 5'9"-5'10". I don't drive, so I walk a fair amount on a daily basis, and my job, though part-time, keeps me on my feet quite a bit, so I am mobile. I don't work out or take much exercise, but I wouldn't class myself as a sloth, either.

Gosh, I am trying to include as much as possible, so you guys have all the info to perhaps offer up some pearls of wisdom, so chances are this is going to get rambly. It should also be known, as well, that I recently just got better from a small bout of health anxiety (constant fear there's something wrong with you; hypochrondia), so a lot of my fears may be coming out of left field unnecessarily, but honestly I can't help it.

So, I am going to tell you some things I have been going through recently, things that are making me think I may have Diabetes, and you guys can just tell me what you think. Here goes...

Recently, I have felt like my vision is going downhill slightly. I feel like I am yawning all the time, though I wouldn't necessarily say I feel tired (lots of yawning, though), and while I do sleep at nights, I struggle to remain asleep. So, there'll be a few hours sleep, wake momentarily, back to sleep again, maybe waken again, sleep some more. I don't think I urinate more frequently than usual, and I don't have the constant thirst that is often associated with Diabetes. I don't notice any drastic change in my weight, either. Now, Neuropathy, this is where most of my concerns lie... my feet are fine; I have feeling in them, they don't tingle. Occasionally, they go to sleep, though admittedly that is when I am sitting on my butt, being inactive. My ankles, occasionally, feel a little stiff, and I have caught myself, though only a few times, trying to walk straight and going a little off center. Here's the doozey, though... my arms/hands - I have these intermitant discomfort in my forearms, on both arms. I don't know if I would consider what I am feeling pain, because it doesn't prohibit me from doing things. It's not a pleasant feeling, far from it, but it doesn't overly hinder me. My muscles twitch a lot in my shoulders and sometime my fingers on my left hand (my little finger and my ring finger especially) twitch of their own accord. My right shoulder goes through bouts of hurting; some days it'll hurt, the next it's fine. The thing is, though, if have been tested for Diabetes before, though it was a while ago, and the results came back fine. So, even if I did have it now, what would be the odds of me having some kind of nerve damage already?

Lastly, and I am sorry if this is gross and too much information, but I am also currently dealing with a skin infection, which is pink/red, doesn't smell very nice and quite itchy, in my groin area. It doesn't hurt or anything, and nor does it itch constantly (only sometimes), either. I heard this can be caused by Diabetes.

So, guys, that's it. I am sorry if that was a pain to read, but I am really anxious about this. I would love to know what you all think, and feel free to ask any questions. Help me, guys. sad

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You certainly have given a better than average description of yourself. Kudos!

Yea some of what you describe is and has been related to Big D. However, with out soild blood test and looking at all of the data it will provide it is impossible to suggest any change in action other than asking about your diet. Eating healthy is a great place to start taking care of yourself. Loose all the processed foods, salt and limit white grains. Veggies are a good thing for your body as a whole. Do you drink several soft drinks a week? The diet ones are only margininally better for you than the sugared ones.  Giving up bread, rice and most pastas was the on the hard side for me. I finally got over the soft drink desire and now only drink water and fruit juice with the occasional alcholic drink. I hope your not on the path like a lot of us are on. Big D is not easy. it is hard. Being involved will help you a lot over the long term. When you go back for the results of you labs have questions, lots of questions. If you do not get CLEAR answers get/find another Dr. I have changed several times and have two. One is a GP and the other is an Endrocrinolgist. The Dr and I have disagreements all of the time over my Big D care. The endro and I are pretty much in agreement. A general practioner that does not have a speciality in Big D may not be what you need.  We all react to the stock treatments differently. I did fine on them for about 10 years, now I am on a slightly different path with the endro's understanding and concent. I get my eyes checked every year and the eye doc will be able to see the problem. So far I am good with the eyes.   Try and calm down and wait it out until the labs are back then and only then will you be able to chart a course for you.

Best wishes from Arizona.

• Posted

Hello drangd

Do you know when is the best time to check in the blood sugar? I mean after 1 hour meal or after 2 hours?

Which one is aqurate? I'm not officially diabetic yet but might be pre diabetic. My GP and endo are not that concerned since my A1C was always around 5.4-5.5 and 5.7.

But I keep worrying about the postparndial numbers. For example not long ago I ate smal portion of pasta and test my sugar after an hour it was 146.

Then I checked it again in 1:30 minutes it was 119.

Should I be worried?

• Posted

When you get to see your doctor ask him to also check your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels as a defiency in these can cause some of your neurological symptoms.  At least you can get them "ruled out" as the cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.