Has anyone had a hysterectomy with robot assistance?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. i am going to be having a hysterectomy, and since my cerviex is too high, I have to have robot assisted surgery. I believe just the uterus, not overies. Has anyone on here had this done? I am so scared of any type of surgery.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, there!  Lots of us on this site have had robot assisted surgery.  The incisions are usually small, I had six of them each about 1 and a half inches wide. Healing is faster, though you should remember this is major surgery and make sure you spend sufficient time taking it easy.  Your doctor's office should give you post op instructions.  External stitches heal in about 6-8 weeks and internally you'll heal in about 6 months or so, maybe sooner.  

During the surgery, gas is injected into your abdomen to distend it, so that there is a better view during the procedure.  So, you may be uncomfortable for about 5 days afterwards while the gas works its way out of your body.  

You will receive pain medication as you need it.  If you have lots of anxiety, you can ask your doctor for medication for a couple of days before surgery to help you relax.  The doctor and hospital staff want to keep you pain free and as comfortable as possible.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how you do!

• Posted

I had the robot assisted surgury. 4 incisions total, 1 above belly button, 2 on left side, 1 on right. I felt like the gas was the most painfyl part but by lying on my sides i was able to eleviate most of the gas. I have been having more BMs than usual but I think its because ive been taking loads of water too. I am thankful that this was not painful as ive read horror stories. On Day 2 I was cursing that I regretted having the surgury however today being day 4 post op, im starting to feel better. I put a ace bandage aroynd my tummy for light support which made a huge difference in how my belly feels. The only thing ive had is stomach upset but its been the holidays and i probably overdid it.

Post op appt next week.

• Posted

I'm glad you're doing well!  Please remember to be gentle with yourself and allow time to heal.  The outside will heal faster than the inside.  

Please let me know how your post op goes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.