After effects of Lyme disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Girlfriend had Lyme disease several months ago which was treated by anti biotics but I'm wondering what sort of after effects the disease might have given her?

Ever since she has been diagnosed she has had minor problems with thinking of the right word but it's always been minor and never a problem but there have also been quite a few occasions where she completely flys off the handle when I mention something tiny to her which would be considered a criticism. Something like her not indicating in the car or me disagreeing with her choice of flooring in the kitchen. She completely loses it and it ends up in a massive row. I am now starting to go out of my mind and. I'm afraid to mention anything to her in case she loses it.

For example when I mentioned her not indicating in the car , the whole day was ruined because she went into meltdown yet she previously has mentioned me not indicating in the past and I react normally. I don't like it but it's forgotten within seconds. To me that's a normal reaction when someone criticises you isn't it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before because it's really started to effect our relationship.

I'd be petrified if she ever found out that I had posted this topic, because I know she would lose it.

Absolutely everything is my fault and I'm living in a world where I am made to feel guilty about everything.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am not sure the answer, but I can relate to everything you have written. I do not recognise myself, being extremely sensitive, fly off the handle over trivial issues, angry, struggle with words during a conversation, mind fog, mind shuts down, cannot cope with any negative comments.... this list goes on.

It will be tricky to give advice for you to follow, but maybe on a "better" day you ask her whether she feels she is managing each day in the same way as before she was bitten. Half my battle is being heard no matter how great or small my thoughts are, so getting your girlfriend to open up about how she is feeling to you, it may help you understand how her thought process now works.

Sorry I can't be of more help!!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Richard.

It's a tough situation to be in. I genuinely feel she will think I am making stuff up to take away any blame from myself.

If the problem was with me then I'd be the first to admit it and try to rectify it.

At present we are barely communicating.

• Posted

Is there a friend or family member of hers you could talk to, to see if they can make any progress?

I was the last person to join a forum... but, so many things have changed for the worse I joined before I went mad.

Support and understanding is a vital part of coping, but accepting and wanting to acknowledge there's a change is the first step. I feel for you and there's no excuse for certain behaviour, but believe me it's not that we want to act in this way, it just happens....a constant battle.

If you maybe read up as much on lymes as possible and tell her that you want to understand....it may help

• Posted

I'd like to talk to her myself but In all honesty I know how it will go. She will completely dismiss it.

• Posted

Well I spoke to her last night.

It didn't go well at all. She completely dismissed the idea that it could be anything she has done wrong.

All she admitted was that sometimes she can overreact a little which is perfect early normal.

I don't think a whole day being ruined because of her mood is a normal thing but maybe it is?

Anyway, the relationship is literally falling apart. I don't know for sure if this has anything to do with Lyme disease but to a certain extent I hope it is because if the way behaves is her actual character then the relationship is completely doomed.

• Posted

Let's be honest our hormones can make us a little erratic at times regardless of Lyme disease. However Lyme rage is very real. I would definitely monitor symptoms. I used to have episodes of being ready to burst and brain fog forgetting words here and there.

So much uncertainty with this disease whether there's a definitive cure, what's infection what's 'Damage' what's over activity of immune system.

It's going to be hard to get through this without any aknowledgment on her behalf of any issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.