Open wound healing

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had pilonidal cyst surgery in may, doctor did a closed wound wound, everything was fine till 2 weeks ago when a small part on my incision open up and was draining fluid, went to my surgeon he said he have to do another surgery to close it, this time he open up about 1 inch wide hole and left it open, to heal on its own. i have a nurse who does my dressing once a day. nurse said that its about 1 inch wide and about 3inch deep.

my question is anyone had same size of incision how long did it take to heal, i am going on vacation on dec 17, i am really worried it would not heal by that time

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had 3 operations like yours only my last operation they used a vac dressing Wich took longer to heal but if your only getting it packed you should be fine by the time you go on holiday. Just ask for extra dresting that you can take away with you.
  • Posted

I had a similar issue they took about 6 cm of infection away and after my op they stitched me up but had to go back and get it reopened 3 days later due to infection this was in July 2016 I have (Dec 2016)recently only just stopped going to get it dressed and it has healed with a slight depth however they believe this is normal
    • Posted

That's weird a lot of ppl seem to get it stitched after.... mine had to be left open and heal from the inside out which took 3 months. I've had 3 and they have all been done the same way. Now I'm on the waiting list to get another operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.