Blister or bite? Left arm. Shingles on right side torso

Posted , 4 users are following.

Went to the Dr this a.m. And this blister popped up on my left arm.  He said "No" not shingles b/c this would have come from Cervical spine area and yours are T-10.  

Then he said, my sweats and cough are not from shingles.  

Gave me laser light treatment to help heal faster and decrease pain.  Said I could use Lidocaine patches 4% OTC.  He wanted to put me back on another round of Prednisone and I said, NO, I'M MUCH TOO CRANKY ON THAT!

Anyone ever had the laser light therapy?  Did it help?  

also, I have overwhelming fatigue... Is that normal with this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Fatigue is very normal and most people have it badly with the shingles virus. Sweating and upper respiratory problems have also been what a lot of other people complain of with shingles. There is a physiological reason, but I do not remember what that is. If your doc does not think it is shingles, then what does he think it is? What is he treating you for?
    • Posted

It is shingles (started about 3 wks ago with blister) now rash up my back . Says it is PHN now.  But says the respiratory is not part of the shingles.  Saw ENT 3 wks ago for blocked sinus and he put me on Amox and now of course off that b/c of shingles and other meds.  Made a phone call to office asking him if I should go back on the Amox?  Upset b/c he kind of ignored the sweating and cough.  Said my lungs are clear.  I do have asthma.

Thanks Michelle!

• Posted

A NP Merry is on this site. She gave an explanation about the lungs/cough and how they relate to the shingles virus. I'm sorry I do not remember. Hopefully she will respond to this. Also, pain can make you tired, but I believe the fatigue is primarily due to your body dealing with the virus, just as it would with a flu virus. Listen to your body and rest/sleep as much as possible. Take care and best of luck fighting off this horrible condition.

• Posted

Thanks Michelle!  Yes, I hope she will respond too.  I have googled lungs, cough and sweat related to shingles but don't find anything.  I think just knowing that this is the cause and there is nothing else would be comfort so I can deal with it.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I have not but I am definitely interested in how your shingles respond to the laser light...

Hooray for the lidocaine patches...did your physician mention that they work best 12 hours on, 12 hours off so that your body does not become acquired to them.

Fatigue...absolutely...shingles is the nervous system...intense pain, relentless intense pain wears us out...literally.

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith,

I'll keep you all posted on the light treatments.  I suppose it's worth it to give it a try.  No, he did not mention 12 hours on and 12 hours off on the patches.  I'm not too happy with him at the moment.  I'm getting more info from you ladies and that is helpful!

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Donna

The 12 hours on and 12 hours off actually makes the patches more effective because the on and off is important because the cycles interrupt the body's becoming used to them which in turn makes the patches less effective...you may choose whatever 12 hour cycle is best for you....

After 5 go arounds with shingles I am sooo hoping the laser promotes quicker healing and reduces pain

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith,

I had two treatments and according to the Dr. Was low level.  No difference.  He said, if I con't to have pain in early December when he sees me again he'll try a couple more treatments at higher level.  He did say 6 treatments should help.  

• Posted

Donna,

I am so sorry for not responding earlier. I was moving, did not have Internet connections for awhile, and was also extraordinarily busy and exhausted.

Regarding the lesion on your arm, did it appear similar to the other lesions of Herpes Zoster-Shingles and feel the same as the other lesion regarding the nerve pain?

Often, you can have a lesion that is unrelated pop up on the other side. However, if you get a rash and the identical sensation of burning, lancinating pain at the second site, and had the similar symptoms including fatigue, exhaustion, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, etc, then I would be more likely to think of shingles. Then you should have been placed on an antiviral medication. Prednisone has not found to be helpful in treating Shingles.

I have never read in the medical literature using laser therapy to treat shingles lesions. Is he charging you for this? Or billing the insurance company?

How are you doing, otherwise?

Herpes Zoster-Shingles can reoccur in other sites, and the other side of the body, just less frequently. Remember, many physicians are abysmally ignorant re the Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

How old are you, BTW.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

First off, thank you for your response and the info you provided.  Everyone has been so helpful to one another.  It's nice to know you can bounce your symptoms and complaints off and ppl will respond with what they have been through or done to help.

My shingles started with one blister (a big one) on my abdomen RIGHT side and close to ribs.  Itching like crazy initially and very red.  About a week or 10 days later is when the pain in my RIGHT upper back began on a Sat/Sat night.  By Sunday evening we went to the ER and spent about 3 1/2 hours there.  CXR, blood work, a shot of anti-inflamm and a diagnosis of thoracic strain.  By 1 a.m. I was miserable again!  Saw my Dr. On Tuesday who diagnosed "shingles" by then a fine rash started to appear on my back (RIGHT side) and moved around ribs to front and breast area.  no blisters at this time, just rash.  Pain is sporadic w/ some shooting pain and most in evening or night time.  Dr. Put me on Acyclovir and Prednisone for 10 days.  He wanted to con't Pred for 2 more weeks and I said, "NO"... Put me in a rage... Angry at everything.  Of course, I wasn't sleeping well at all.  And I have had sweats (head and neck) off and on and a deep cough (have asthma) and was recently diagnosed with right sinus blockage and on AMOX 875 mg but dc'd that when shingles came about.  They say "lungs are clear".  I am 66 y/o and in pretty good shape or so I thought wink exercise and go to aqua fit 3 mornings a week.  On Gabapentin 300 mg tid now and am sleeping better.  He said, PHN now and it's inflammation so no need for antibiotic.  Using Lidocaine patch at night only as needed.  Still have the fatigue, and some shooting pains on right side.  

This blister inside my elbow on LEFT arm popped up yesterday and was initially itchy but not bad.  It is red and blister remains.  Have another blister showed up this morning upper right chest toward shoulder.  Is that normal to have blisters now after 3 wks????  No nerve pain on the left side.  Sure hope it doesn't come to that.

I am most concerned about my lungs, the sweats and fatigue.  To me ... Sweats and fatigue indicate an underlying infection.  I'll see them tomorrow for another laser light treatment.  They are billing my insurance (no cost to me).  It is suppose to encourage healing.  

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyone's input!

• Posted

Donna,

I lost my entire post! 😣

As you are not immunocompromised, hopefully it is not a recurrent episode.

Shingles in a healthy person usually behaves within defined parameters. Once the vesicles-blisters start to appear, they occur in waves or crops over a period of five days, then stop. It can take up to a month to heal, ie, for the vesicles-blisters to dry up and scab into black crusts. Then you are not contagious. It is typical to feel fatigued and have chills and sweating, similar to flu symptoms, as the Herpes Zoster-Shingles varicella virus has attacked your entire body, not just your central nervous system. Should you feel short of breath, like asthma, follow the protocol set up for your asthma, as you are still immunosuppressed in some way to have gotten Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.