Understanding blood test readings

Posted , 5 users are following.

After receiving two different views from two different doctors, I hope someone can clarify the correct position.  In assessing cholesterol I have been told that a triglyceride reading (2.0mmol/L) is above the level it should be (given as 1.7mmol/L).  This is not in dispute.  I was also told that the HDL cholesterol reading  is 1.25mmol/L.  One doctor told me that this was 'too high' and that it should be below 1.03mmol/L, while the second said that the reading should be above 1.03 mmol/L (as it is) to be considered normal. Advice and clarification welcome!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My cholesterol reports have always shown HDL limits between 0.90 and 1.90 mmol/L
  • Posted

Hi David

So HDL is high density lipoproteins. Sometimes you will hear it referred to as the "good" cholesterol. The higher the better...without limit.

LDL are low density lipoproteins. LDLs cause plaque in blood vessels. We want this number to be as low as possible.

So, what is considered "high cholesterol "

a good total cholesterol is 200 mg/dL or lower

borderline total cholesterol is 200 to 239 mg/dL

high total cholesterol is 240 mg/dL or higher

a good LDL is 100 mg/dL or lower

borderline LDL is 130 to 159 mg/dL

high LDL is 160 mg/dL or higher

good HDL is 40 mg/dL or higher

Perhaps you will obtain a copy of the laboratory report...typically to the right of your score they include a legend of the acceptable range.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thanks for this. So an HDL reading of 1.25 mmol/L is the 'right' side of the line (if the line is at 1.03mmol/L) not the 'wrong' side?  Or can one only really consider HDL within the context of an overall (good and bad)cholesterol level?

• Posted

Hi David

Whatever HDL you have, more is always better.

It is the LDL number that is mosy important...we want that number very small

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.