Hiatal hernia and heart palpitations

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does this sound familiar to anyone??? Your'e trying to go to sleep your heart is pounding.. an hour later its at 120 beats per minute. Your nauseous, have dry heaves, belching alot. Your heart slows down your body is shaking then you feel ok.

Is this from a hiatal hernia? Please share any similar experiences.

Last time this happened we had to call the paramedics because heart rate was 150.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes-my heart pounds,I sweat profusely and I dry heave and/or vomit-had this for SIX MINTHS! I have a hernia as I'm so violently ill.Had tests which just showed hernia.I see G.P 2mrw.Have list 3stone in 6mths

• Posted

How was your doctors appointment ? Did he give you any new insight to things? I find taking ondansetron , a prescription anti nausea medication, helps sometimes.

I hope your feeling better!!

• Posted

Didn't finish my post! Yes I understand these symptoms.Keep on at your G.P.Good luck-it's awful I know.Jox

• Posted

I have similar experience. I panicked and run to ER but was assured it was all part of GERD. The nerves in the esophagus and the heart are so close to each other. Still cardio needs to be checked as each individual has unique symptoms. I did EKG and stress test and they are normal with ocassional PVC. Just to rule out any heart issues, i suggest you go to cardiologist too.
    • Posted

hernia causes my gerd
    • Posted

Hi. They ran all the heart tests and it was all normal. What foods do you need to avoid?
  • Posted

Hello lc72704

I'm no expert, but this does no sound like a hernia (it could be), but I don't think so. Perhaps you could consider having panic attacks. Check with your doctors.I say this because I have them. It feels like your heart is pounding out of your body. My heart pounder so fast, it caused temporary paralysis from the neck fown. At one time, the only thng that moved are my eyes. It was very scarry.

Please, check into it. Be blessed.

• Posted

That sound terrible! I hope you are doing better now.

Doctors have said the symptoms are similar to panic attacks. But because they come on out of nowhere and can be triggered by what I eat we are leaning towards the cause being the hh.

Take care

• Posted

Thanks lc72704 for your concern. I think forums like this are needed for people who are going through tough health issues and able to discuss with others. It is good to vent with strangers sometimes. I think it's healthy.

However, never take the advice from anyone other than your doctor. If he or she believes it is hh, go with it. I hope you feel better soon. Be blessed!

• Posted

I've had this for a very long time. I had an endoscopy and it showed a small hiatal hernia and some damage from acid reflux. Doc put me on Pariet for a month and once I came off it, it became much worse! I was driving two days ago and blacked out from my fast heart rate. Thank goodness I was going slowly because I was feeling uneasy (I'm sure you know the feeling) so I could stop in time (in the middle of a busy road). Someone stopped and called the ambulance, where they told me my heart beat is irregular. By the time I got to the hospital, it had returned to normal.

My gastro has informed me that palpitations are definitely linked to acid reflux. He said that the only solution is meds to control acid production (besides the surgery, which the risks outweigh the benefits apparently). So I'm a firm believer of the body healing itself and going the natural route. It may take longer and more persistence but the results will last. Cut out the foods that cause acid, eat smaller meals, don't lie down or bend after meals, don't eat 3 hours before bed, do the massages to bring down the hernia, do exercises and yoga to strengthen the diaphragm and try to control stress and stay off meds as much as possible. All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.