White Spots on one side of throat with shingles??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had posted before about having shingles symptoms but no rash and a negative blood test.  Merry says that my negative blood test was likely a false negative because it was done so early.

My shingles is on the right side of my face from the back of my cheek bone to the center or my face from my chin to the bottom of my nose.  I also have numbness inside my mouth on the right side and my taste buds have been impacted.

The new symptom I have developed over the past week is white irritated spots on the back of my throat but only on my right side which is the same side as the nerve issue.

Is this evidence of the rash I did not get before?

Is it common to have irritated white spots on throat with shingles that impact face/mouth?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Richand,

I cannot remember exactly the time frame of your particular Herpes Zoster-Shingles, but you could be having a bacterial infection in your throat, ie strep throat, and should be seen by a clinician immediately. Your immune system is not functioning properly, and you are more susceptible to any infection. Usually, the Herpes Zoster-Shingles vesicles-blisters appear like small canker sores, not white spots. I know as I get these every three weeks for the past twenty years...Please see a clinician immediately and let me know how you are doing.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

As a reminder, my first symptoms appeared on 10/21 and involve nerve issue on right side of my face (back of cheek bone to chin to bottom of nose), flu like symptoms, fatique, sweating, no rash and negative shingles blood test which you advised could be a false negative since it was administered on day 8 after symptoms started.

Based on your advice I did make an appointment to see my doctor to check the spots on my throat.  I saw him today.  He did a strep test and it was negative.  He told me that the "spots" are not really infection spots but instead have the appearance of fluid filled spots.  He also told me that the particular nerve "branch" on my face where I have shingles symptoms actually has a portion of the same nerve that runs on the right side of the back of my throat so he suspects the facial issue may be connected to the fluid filled spots on my throat.  After I re-read your reply about the shingles spots looking more like canker sores I am wondering if this is my rash/spots finally presenting themself because it seems that canker sores present as fluid filled spots.

I asked him about the false negative test and he said that he did not think the test was done too early but acknowleged that the test only has an 80% accuracy rate.  Given this he said he just can't be sure if I have shingles or not.  The version of shingles that does not present with a rash seems like it can be a very frustrating version for patients and medical providers.

I am currently at day 26 from the first day I noticed nerve symptoms.  I have been getting better but still have bad days but the current bad days are nothing compared to the bad days during the first week after my first nerve symptoms.   I still have nerve numbness and some mild pain.

One symptom I am curious about is related to my teeth.  The nerve that is impacted is the nerve running on my cheek across my upper lip.  My upper right back teeth/gums are sensitive with some discomfort.  Is this a normal symptom given the nerve that is involved? 

Thanks again for all of your guidance.  I really appreciate the time and insight you provide to so many people.  You are such a blessing!!

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard

O have had shingles five times, each a severe presentation and never had white spots...also the area you name just does not match a nerve root innervation.

Your spots sound more like bacteria.

I encourage you to see your physician

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Judith, thank you for the reply.  I have an appointment with my doctor today to get it checked.

I have another question.  The nerve that is impacted on my face starts behind my cheek bone on the right side of my face and extends forward to the mid-point on my face running from my chin up to the bottom of my nose.  The most impacted area is the portion of the nerve right on my cheek bone (i.e., sensitivity and slight pain).

The thing that is also bothering me is my back teeth and gums on the upper right side are sore/sensitive.  Is this a symptom you have had with shingles on your face?  I have been to my dentist twice before shingles was suspected because I have two crowns on my upper right back teeth and was concerned something was wrong.  He took x-rays and said my teeth look fine.

Is the teeth/gum sensitivity a symptom of shingles on the face?

I also am puzzeled why I have white spots on only the right side of my throat.  Can an infection within teeth "mimic" shingles symptoms?  My dentist was adament that the nerve impacted on my cheek bone could not be impacted by a tooth issue.  He is an excellent dentist so I am inclined to believe him.

Thanks again for offering your input!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.