countdown to total hysterectomy in under 2 weeks :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everybody, just wondered if anyone has been in the same situation as me ............. I'm 59, overweight and diabetic (found out 3 years ago after being hospitalised with cellulitus for the first time) and have recently been told that I need to have a total hysterectomy.   Its been explained to me that at 'my age' I should either be well into menopause or past menopause!  I recently had a normal smear result but because I mentioned to the nurse that I still roughly every 4 weeks or so have a slight show/bleed they say this isnt normal and over the past month have had internal scans/biopsies which resulted in an initial diagnosis of polyps and was originally booked in for their removal, but days before the operation having reviewed the biopsies this was cancelled and I had an MRI instead which confirmed that I have cell changes in the lining of my womb and because they class these as pre-cancerous changes and not being able to foretell when they could evolve I need to have everything removed!! Its been a rollercoaster month of tests,stress and worry and to say I am scared is an understatement.  I have read some of your postings Ladies and I realise that I am not alone in having to have this done but my worry is because of my size and of healing, blood clots and infection because having had cellulitus 3 times now in 3 years I know how quickly infection can spread and to know that I am allergic to certain I.V. antibiotics is also a big concern.   Sorry to go on but I would be very grateful to hear if anyone has had similar concerns.  Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings     :o)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi mags I have all off the above , i was 62 when I had mine done last year and also have the added complication off heart failure as well. Mine was cancelled first time but the surgeon wanted me to have a second opinion from the anethesist and he gave me the go ahead.the surgeon explained that I would have problems with the healing because of the diabetis and overweight I was 22 st when I had it done but assured me that they could deal with that if it was needed. They also told me that I wou

ld need to go into I.c.u. for a few days. I had my op on the thursday afternoon, went straight back on to the ward. I was given morphine in theatre before I came back and that was all the painkiller that I needed. I got up next morning and walked to the end of the bed and then sat in the chair for a while. After 3 days I had my catheter taken out and I could take short walks. I was home in 5 days. I had 3 radiation treatments as a precaution. I did have a problem with healing I had 5 infections in 5 mths and had to have it dressed everyday for the full 5 months but got there in the end. I am a full time carer for my dad who is 92yrs but managed with help from friends. I go for check upe every 4 mths. So you see its not as bad as you expect . Good luck with your op. Have you had a date yet.

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear your having such a stressful time with your health. It is a bit of a shock hearing that everything needs to be removed at first. I had a total hysterectomy including ovaries due to past cell changes which I had lasered. I did wish I kept my ovaries to ward off increased menopausal symptoms but at the sametime I also spoke to a lady who said she wishes her mother had hers removed as she later went onto develop ovarian cancer after her hysterectomy. I don't think there's any one size fits all with hysterectomys its down to individuals health and risks, the Dr's have based on your medical history.

I didn't have any of the health problems you mentioned but I still suffered an infection caught at the hospital which lasted 9 days with intravenous antibiotics in the end. Unfortunately there aren't guarantees it won't happen but their were plenty who left during my time in hospital with absolutely no problems and we're able to get around fine. Due to my infection my recovery was slightly longer but I'm fully recovered now with no ongoing health problems from the op just menopausal problems.

You might ask for further explanation from the Dr's if you're still worried. I hope you're operation goes well anyway and you recover quickly :-)

• Posted

Hi there, I was 17 stone when I had my hysterectomy, I'm not diabetic, though I also had heart problems, I had been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrilation the year before, I had the hysterectomy because of stage 1A cancer, they took everything away as a precaution, endometrial cancer can spread to the cervix and ovaries so it is far better that they go straight away. I have had a relatively easy 'ride' through my hysterectomy experience, I have never need any pain relief other than the spinal block I had before the actual op, I had to have blood thinning injections (heparin)every day for a week after getting home to prevent blood clots, I did this myself, I have only had niggly things such as a bit of constipation early on which was sorted out quite quickly with Lactulose ( not diabetic friendly that one, it is sooo sweet yuck!) and senna.

You ramble as much as you like on here, we've all been there so know how you must be feeling.

Take care

Phoebe x

• Posted

PS. I was 61 when I had my hysterectomy. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.