How is a diagnosis made if everything is better after steroid cream?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was prescribed Betnovate, which I used twice a day for two weeks.  This made a slight difference to the inflammation.  I'm now using Clobederm twice a day and I think this is working better.

I go back to see my GP in three weeks.  When I last saw him he mentioned LS and the possibility of a biopsy when he next sees me.   He will do this.  But, if the Clobederm works well and everything improves, how will he be able to give me a definite diagnosis?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheetah,

I was diagnosed with LS without having a biopsy.  I'm not sure it's necessary to have a biopsy if your symptoms begin to disappear after following the recommended treatments that women on this site have found useful (baking soda, borax, oils, etc.)  However, if you doctor suspects something other than LS, then of course you should have one done. 

• Posted

I have heard if your on clob and have a biopsy LS will not show. Check with your GP about this concern as there is no point in having the biopsy if it's unreliable. As it's not a pleasant thing to go through

• Posted

Hi Cheetah

I finally made an appointment with a gynae on private care as I felt she has seen it all!  I felt after a visit to the doc and then to the nurse and then to the STD clinic no one quite knew what I had, even after a smear at the STD clinic.  All the creams that I was given from the doc didn't work.  Good luck!  

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies.  As I said, the GP did mention LS when he examined me, so maybe he's convinced that's that what it is anyway.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble in getting a diagnosis, Janet71001.  My GP's speciality is gynaecology, so maybe I've been lucky in seeing someone who is experienced in LS.

I'll see what happens in three weeks, but may go back sooner if the discomfort continues.  The redness seems to be a little better, but I still feel as though I'm sitting on a hedgehog!

• Posted

Hi cheetah.

I'm now wondering the same thing. I started using clobaderm Afew months before my biopsy. Not long had the biopsy not got the results yet. Now I'm thinking ls won't show will it if the clobaderm calms it down. I sort of wish I stopped using Afew weeks before the biopsy.

Now it seems pointless I had that done

• Posted

My feelings exactly, Tia77541.    I hope you get a diagnosis from your biopsy, so you don't feel it's all been for nothing.

However, I suppose I'm making the assumption that it won't show anything if the inflammation has calmed down, maybe a biopsy will still show LS at a microscopic level.  Who knows?

I wish you well.

• Posted

I have had 3 punch biopsies and one other (not sure of the variety).  They all came back negative, yet the Gynae consultant says it is obviously LS.  I had been using Dermovate (CLob in the US) beofre the biopsies because nobody told me not to.  I have started refusing biopsies if I have to change consultants.  They all seem to want to do one and the scarring is less than helpful!
    • Posted

I have had two biopsies - but was given a diagnosis of LS right from the start. Now the results are back and the gynae says I don't have LS. So I asked him what I do have and he says he doesn't know - that medicine can be "grey" at times. He changed my prescription from Dermovate to an oestrogen cream - even though I said I thought the Dermovate was keeping things under control. Very confusing.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah, per my GYN you have to be off the steroids 5 days before or nothing will show. BUT, like Anne I was diagnosed w/o a biopsy. All of my symptoms have completely stopped since I started using Borax. Please read "An experiment with Borax" on this site, there is a lot of woman who have had relief and there is much encouragement there also! Vitamin C and Senna tea are good for helping with constipation. btw, I haven't had to use the Clobetasol since I started the Borax ... Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you, Joanna1943, that's really helpful to know about coming off the steroid before a biopsy.   I've seen Borax mentioned before, but have yet to investigate it.  I'll definitely have a look.

Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.