How long will I have to wait for surgery on NHS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of information and advice. I'm currently waiting on an operation on my neck. I was initially diagnosed with a problem over 2 years ago and was placed on the NHS waiting list for the operation. I was told, at the time, the waiting list was 6 months on the NHS but was then taken off the waiting list as I was out of the country.

I have now returned and called the surgeons secretary at the start of July to be put back on the waiting list. I called back mid July to confirm that I had been placed on the list which I had been.

About 1 month ago I received a letter from the hospital saying they had received a referral and were checking I still wanted the operation, to which I replied I was and since then I have heard nothing. I have tried calling the secretary about 10 times in the last few weeks but no answer and no reply to messages left. I want to be put on the cancellation list as I am fully prepared to step in at short notice but can't get hold of the secretary to do this.

Can anyone give me any idea of how long I will be waiting for this operation and how close to the operation will I find out the exact date for it? I live in Wales, Uk if that makes any difference. Any advice on how to get on the cancellation list also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info guys!

Simon

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately waiting times vary from hospital to hospital and trust to trust. I'm up in Scotland and waited 10 weeks on my last ALIF surgery but the current waiting list I am on for follow up surgery is up to 28 weeks from consultation. The surgeon told me 12 weeks at the outside but his secretary said it was more like 20-28! I'd keep pestering the hospital and don't take no for an answer. Also, if your hospital works the same way mines does then they won't leave messages on your phone. If you don't answer they'll simply hang up.

Sorry can't be of more help.

• Posted

Hi Simon, if there is an email address on the letter you received I would drop them an email. Also see your GP who should be able to add to your notes and alert the hospital that you are willing to be put on the cancellation list. Good Luck 😄

• Posted

I have been waiting 3yrs, so far diagnosd with DDD, Spondylothesis, and degenerative changes of the spine, causing severe lumber pain (can only walk or stand for 5-10 mins before becoming that painful i have to sit or lean forward to ease the pain, countless MRI's, facet joint injections which do nothing apart from the couple of houes immendiatly after them,

I was suppposed to get a fusion L4-L5 last January, but cancelled at the last minute as the team did not think it was the best way to go. They then referred me back to Orthopaedics, and put on the waiting list for Left knee and hip replacement (all due to an RTA back in the 80's) 

First Op, knee replacement sheduled for 2nd Nov 2016, cancelled the day before, the specific jigs required for my op had not arrived? Now have a second date for 21st Dec,, so may be in over Xmas for the TKR, recovery time then the Hip, recovery time back to the Neurosurgeon's for a final decision. I think they are hoping the knee and hip are causing the spinal probs, but i guess only time will tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.