ESWT

Posted , 3 users are following.

has anyone in this group had ESWT?  I did about four weeks ago and foot is worse!  I am a chronic case almost one year.  So frustrated have tried everything! Boot, no walking, injections, orthotics, high dose anti-inflammatories, stretching.  I am now working with a chiropractor who is using Graston technique.  Would love to hear fthe I'm someone else who had ESWT and/or chronic sufferer.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hey lovely! I FEEL YOUR PAIN! And your frustration.

Sounds like we have had pretty much the same journey and getting no where.

I'm now trying all sorts of weird vitamins and drinking vinegar and anything I hear to be honest! Something must work.

I'm due to be going to New York and Friday and currently can't sleep or get excited because I don't want to be a burden to anyone.

Have you considered Hypnotherpy? That's the latest thing I'm researching. How's Graston working out for you? I've not tried that yet.

I honestly hope you find something that works. I don't think people really can understand the shear amount of pain we are in. Here if you ever need a rant or to share ideas xxx

• Posted

I live outwide of NY!  No haven't tried anything different yet.  Just started Graston but foot so tender right now he can't really be aggressive.  I'm trying to be patient but so frustrating!  Did you have ESWT?

• Posted

Ahhh! I live in the U.K. I booked my trip about 10 months ago and have been doing EVERYTHING to make sure by PF was gone by then but it's worse than ever 😂.

I had 5 sessions of shockwave therapy and it felt like it was working to begin with but then nothing. They did it on my feet and calves as well. It's really driving me nuts now!

• Posted

Ugh that stinks! I wear a boot to keep pressure off of my heel and even got a scooter.  Are you traveling with someone?  I know it stinks but you can Uber or Lyft throughout NYC!
    • Posted

Yeah luckily I'm with my mum who is amazing so I know she will look after me.

Please keep me updated with anything you try and I will let you know if I find us a cure!!! 😘

• Posted

I have had 5 sessions of ESWT- you have to give it more time to heal.  Since it makes microfractures in the bone it isnt going to heal that fast.  Maybe talk to your podietrist about another seesion?
    • Posted

I have also had graston.  It works to break up the scar tissue but can be painful becasue of the force behind it.  
    • Posted

Thanks for reply rah.  My guy put me out for first treatment so high intensity then just two more treatments and that's all.  I saw him last week telling him in more pain and he really gave me little info.  Said PT.  I'm not even sure if I should continu heat and still no anti-inflammatories.  I am in so much pain I have started icing again but no anti inflammatories.  Were you in more pain after than before? Also did you do Graston before or after?

• Posted

I did Graston like a year before I did ESWT.  I did think that the graston worked well. It was important to break up the tissue because it was SO tight. I did PT for two years before trying the ESWT.

I was never told about heat, but I was told I couldnt ice due to wanting the inflammation  because of the healing process. I still havent taken anti-inflammatories (eventhough he said I could) and I finished ESWT in August.  The reason my doctor did so many rounds is because I maxed out the machine by the third time (usually he only does 3, but because I havent responded to other treatments, he did more-I have a very high pain tolerance).  I would be painfree walking out of the clinic, but then it would be sore for a few days after. I would say give it more time. When I went in for a checkup in October, he told me that it is still healing. Im currently schedualed to have my other foot done in December.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I've started icing again because it is so sore. Do you think I should stop?

• Posted

Well the ice will stop the inflamation which is what you want. But honestly ice if you want to.  If it is really hurting take tylenol/ acetaminophen. It should relieve the pain without stopping the inflamation. 
  • Posted

I have had plantar fasciitis for about 6 months. My podiatrist's treatment is 6 laser therapy treatments and 2 shockwave treatments. I completed these treatments and got about 50% improvement. I still had pain so I asked him "What now?" He said "surgery" and I told him that I did not want surgery. I think it is too soon for surgery. I asked him if there was anything else available and he said he could give me an injection of human growth hormone. This is a substance that is made from the membrane of the amniotic fluid sac of babies after they are born. I told him No because I did not want to be injected with the cells of someone else due to the possibility of HIV, Hepatitis C, etc. The company says that they have safeguards and screening but I don't feel comfortable with that.

On my first visit, he gave me  a cortisone shot which did not help at all and hurt like heck and burned terribly for days afterwards. He also gave me a night splint that I have worn off and on.

I went for one more laser therapy treatment so I had a total of seven of those. I am not going to this podiatrist anymore. I did not care for him so I have decided to continue on my own for now. I may go to a different podiatrist in the future.

What seems to be working for me now is I am massaging my foot on a hard massage ball for half an hour a day. I recently read an article by a prominent NY doctor who said that this is key to treating plantar fasciitis. I am on my second week of doing this.  It seems to be working and I only wish that I had read this earlier. I also do towel stretches and have done the stair stretch.

The other thing is that you must wear arch support orthotics ALL of the time. Only take them off for showering and sleeping. My podiatrist made custom orthotics for me that cost about $350. Luckily my insurance paid for them. But I found them to be too hard. I found some at the drugstore that I feel are working for me. I wear them all of the time. 

I think I am slowly improving.  When I first went to the podiatrist I could barely walk and was holding on to walls and furniture in the house because I could not put weight on my foot. I still have pain but it is not as bad as it was. Some days are better than others.

• Posted

Stacy, do a Google search for the article "The Running Doc on Plantar Fasciitis". It was in the NY Daily News on April 4, 2016. I would post the link but it is not allowed.

He talks about using the massage ball for half an hour every day and calls it the magic cure. I am on my second week of doing this and I think it is working.

• Posted

He actually says to use a golf ball. I have one of those plastic massage balls that has spikes in it so that is what I am using.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.