I can see my heartbeat in my chest and stomach - i'm worried, is this an aortic aneurysm?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i'm a 20 year old female, and i've noticed that i can see my heartbeat in my stomach and my left breast. I first noticed this when i was 17. I didn't notice this previously, but i'm not sure its because i was looking for problems at the time. As a hypochondriac I was convinced that i ahd a thyroid problem (but tests have ruled this out) and the more i read about thyroid disorders, i was on the look out for 'heart symptoms' and would often check my pulse, etc. Anyway, one day while laying on the couch, i noticed that my stomach moved to the rhythm of my heartbeat and my left breat did the same thing. I don't understand this, my left breast and stomch literally have this pulse 24/7, and if i place my phone on my chest on stomach i can see it bouncing to the rhythm of my heartbeat. I'm slim, and have small breats if that helps, but i wouldn't call my self skinny, and I exercise fairly regularly (at least half an hour of walking fast a day). I've been looking things up on the internet (which i know is a bad idea anyway, especially if you are a hypochondriac and have anxiety) because i wanted to see if anyone else had these issues, because none of my family did, even though they didn't think it seemed unusual. It came up with AAA which really scared me, even though it said most common in older male patients.  I don't really have a family history of heart disorders, only that my late Grandad had two heart attacks, both of which he survived and he had them when he was older and he was slightly overweigtht with various health problems, but no heart disease etc.  Of course also I found that in some cases that this was normal and some people's aorta' were just close to the surface and could be visible. I'm really scared and i've been thinking about it a lot lately wondering if its truly 'normal' so i'm going to try and make a doctors appointment soon, but in the meantime, does this sound normal to you or is this something wrong?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm no Dr but I would say you are probably slimmer than you think you are, 5.6/7 and about 8.7/9 stone am I close.

I was like you and until I became heavier it was one of my fears.

If you lay flat on your back does your stomach become concave

• Posted

Hi, yeah i am about 9 stone actually, do you think that makes it normal to see this heartbeat in my chest and stomach?

?When i lay flat on my back, my stomach is completely flat but i wouldn't say it concaves

• Posted

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about but because you have health anxiety I would suggest you go and see your GP, its for no other reason than you need to be checked and have your mind settled, then you need to ask for some counciling to make sure that your life is not spoilt by this debilitating illness, because it is an illness that can be treated.

Promise me you will do that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.