CyPass stent

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Dr has recommended me to have CyPass stent inserted at the time of my cataract surgery to lower high ocular pressure.  This stent was recently approved by FDA & Medicare is scheduled to approve it in January.  Has anyone had this procedure during clinical trials or possibly after.  Or has your Dr recommended this stent. Previously the IStent was the most recent stent.  Has anyone had this stent inserted. My dr said CyPass is easier to insert. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I wonder if you have had the Cypass procedure since you posted this? My doctor just recommended it yesterday. I am on the fence about it, and wonder if you had sucsess? Apparently I have to go to Arkansas to have it done,( Dr Vold the only one doing this?) that is 8hrs away and almost a week out of work. Also, I don't actually have cataracts, so I am just really un certian about this.

• Posted

Alison I did not have it done as at my last visit my pressure was down. My understanding of CyPass is that FDA has only approved it to be inserted with cataract surgery.  I researched results of clinical trials & 72 percent had their pressure lowered.  It was only approved FDA in November so not too many doctors do it. My Dr was in training in December.  Let me know what u decide & how you do if you have it done.  I know I am not far from that decision myself.  It can hold off more invasive glaucoma eye surgery with less chance of side effects. 

• Posted

thanks, I will let you know. I am on four drops a day of two different medications( and I have used so many different drops over the last few years) and still my pressure stays around 25-28. I went in this week expecting to have a Trabeculectomy.My brother had this 6mths ago with great sucsess. However after several tests( including field vision) Dr told me that he thought my corneas were to thin( due to my lasik surgery 12yrs ago) to have sucsess with Trab.I did have a dramatic downturn in vision in my right eye from just november,So he brought up Cypass. He ws very excited about this and went on and on about how well he knew the Dr preforming it and really pushed for it. I have seen this Dr for years and really like him, but something just felt off about how he presented it to me. And he has never mentioned that I have cateracts, which is very concerning. Now that I have had time to read about it I need to call him and ask more questions, and most importantly call insurance to make sure it is covered. I will keep you updated 
    • Posted

Alison, my pressure fluctuates between 24-28 also. I have exhausted all available drops, most do not do a thing. I had SLT laser surgery several years ago which did not lower it at all. I do not think the drops I am on now help at all.  I have pseudoexfoliation glaucoma which tends to have large fluctuations in pressure.  From what I researched in the clinical trial is that Cypass is very safe & inserted in the same incision that is made for cataract removal & safety the same as cataract surgery.  My Dr said Medicare was supposed to cover it starting this month, January, as I am a senior.  I go back for pressure check in May.  Will keep in touch.  This is so new very few people have had it except the I think 500 or so in the one clinical trial.  

• Posted

If your insurance does not pay for the new CyPass it might for the IStent which has been in existence for several years. My Dr also mentioned this to me. It is smaller 1 mm vs CyPass 6.5 mg.  I contacted the company that produced it concerning it being uncomfortable in my eye & they claim u will not feel it. Reviews have good results in most patients.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.