Desperate for reassurance.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. My mother is awaiting tests because she has been feeling pain after swallowing for a while now.

She's 64 and a non smoker who doesn't drink.

I've been online and terrified myself into thinking she has oesophagael cancer.

Any words of reassurance to calm me? Please. The doctor mentioned an obstruction. What else could it be?

I will hugely appreciate any kind responses. I'm frantic. Thank you in advance.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Good morning tracy. I am not a medical professional and not at all qualified to offer advice. However as the wife of someone who was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in august 2015 i would sayvto you: dont google. If you want to look things up stick to mcmillan or cancer research. The statistics on some sites are out of date and your mum is not a statistic. Try and stay calm, keep busy. Until you get results panic will not help. I know i have been there. If it does prove to be what you fear there is a lot can be done. My husband had chemo followed by radiotherapy as his tumour was inoperable and at tge time of writing he has no visible sign of cancer and is well. So i hope my reply has offered some comfort at this hard time. Keep strong. Lesley
    • Posted

Thank you so very much for your reply. It's genuinely appreciated.I wish your husband the very best too. :-)

• Posted

She's okay! It was scarring from acid reflux. I am so relieved. Thanks for your support, Lesley!

• Posted

Pain on swallowing might be some form of stricture, an ulcer, or some form of oesophagitis.   There is only one way of finding out, and that will involve an endoscopy, a miniature camera placed down her throat, and it is normally advised to have sedation with this as it can then often be a painless procedure.

​Most people who worry about cancer in these cirumstances are reassured by the result of the tests, but there is, of course, no guarantee what the result will be.   All best wishes for it.

• Posted

I really appreciate that you took the time to reply. You're very kind. Thank you! :-)

• Posted

She's okay! It was scarring from acid reflux. I am so relieved. Thanks for your support, Alan!

• Posted

Hi Tracy

Your mum is blessed to have yiu as her child. .

in my case it turned out to be a stricturing if the esophagus...they just stretched it back out!

hugs for both you and mom

judith

ps . Google does not know everything...just saying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.