Gastroscopy with strep throat?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all, my GP referred me for a gastroscopy after I developed anaemia and epigastric symptoms after years of NSAID use for a chronic condition. he put me on the fast track list as he thought I may have a small bleeding ulcer. I have it booked for next week but since I arranged it I have managed to catch my husbands strep throat and now I am wondering if I can still have it or if I will need to wait until its gone. does any body here know? I dont want to cancel if I dont have to, as the GP seemed to think it was quite urgent, but I dont want to take up a slot that someone else could have if its going to be a waste and they cant do it. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I suspect that you need to ring and ask. I am having my first one tomorrow and have very mild cold symptoms. Think that will be ok but with a bad sore throat I would check it.
    • Posted

thanks, I think you are probably right. I best call them tomorrow. I hope yours goes well  x
    • Posted

Thanks TillyDog

Let us know what they say. It might help other patients. I just want to get it over and done with. Your chronic condition must be painful. I do use ibuprofen but limit it as much as possible. most days I don't need any.

• Posted

I had a duodenal ulcer caused by NSAID use. Within 2 months of stopping NSAID treatment, my ulcer vanished. So there is definitely a good prognosis ahead of you, if you stop using NSAIDs. These drugs are very bad for the digestive system. I will never take them again. My doctor swapped my NSAIDs with opiate based pain relief, which is actually far more effective, anyway. I wish I had known this, years ago!
    • Posted

I'm glad your ulcer cleared up. I've been using Naproxen for nearly 10 years and its been a life saver, without it I find it hard to function at all. My GP stopped it immediately when I reported my symptoms and Ive been really struggling since. Unfortunately I've also been using opiate based pain killers for at least 15 years too. I dont find them all that helpful though. my GP now has me trying pregabalin for the pain, we'll see how it goes. I'm only 32 and I feel more like I am 96! 

I want to get this test out of the way and find out what is wrong but I also dont. its scary to think of life without a drug I have relied upon. Its scary to think of the damage it might have done. life is just too scary. 

• Posted

Just out of interest charles99524  How often were you taking NSAIDS at the time you had the ulcer? Was it on a regular basis most days or an occasional day once every couple of weeks? 
    • Posted

Tillydog   Did you have to postpone your endoscopy today?
    • Posted

no, because I was referred on a fast track basis they've said that they want me to attend anyway. if they can do the procedure they will, and if not they'll rearrange on the day. I dont have tonsils so they think they should be able to go ahead as there wont be as much swelling to the throat area that would make it difficult to procede. They did say ordinarily they would just rearrange though. 

• Posted

Good luck for it!

Glad that mine is done though I have to wait for a final test result. Might need antibiotics but hope not.

Katejo

• Posted

Mine was awfull but Im glad its done and the throat was not a problem. It turns out I have multiple clusters of small ulcers at the top of my stomach, erosive gastritis with flat patches (?) at the bottom of my stomach and deuodenitis with erosion too. no active bleeding though which is good. All likely caused by my use of Naproxen for many years, despite the very high daily dose of Lansoprazole too. They took 8 biopsies so I am waiting on those. I hope to never need another scope! (I should say to anyone worried before their own first scope, mine was probably only so awful because of my very complex and occasionally paradoxical medical situation and all the staff at the department were awesome and minimised all discomfort and anxiety)
    • Posted

8 biopsies? All for different reasons? I have largely recovered from the discomfort and burping after the endoscopy. Fortunately my test was clear so no antibiotics needed.
    • Posted

Im not sure why so many biopsies. its just what it says on my report. they are from different sites, two different parts of the stomach and from the deuodenitis region. I didnt really understand it all afterwards and it doesnt say what they are for but Im sure my GP will explain it all when I see him in a few weeks. Im just so glad its done! 

Im glad your test was clear. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.