I have meniere''s disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was given dexamethason 0.5 mg for my merniere''s and was wondering if anyone has took this did it help and are there any side effects?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

dexamethason is a steroidal antiinflammatory and as such has quite a few side effects. It is best taken only for short periods of time. It can cause weight gain, the typical "moon face", and can make you more at risk for infection. You can find a lot of info on it in the web just by searching the name of the drug. You should discuss this with your physician as to why this over other drugs. I have been given dyazide which works well for me, there is betahistine which is not available in the US and I hear you need to adjust the dosage for best effect. I was given a steroid taper when I first developed problems with meniere's but it did not resolve my problems. It was not until after I saw the ENT and was given dyazide that I started to improve.

• Posted

Thanks donnna. I seen all the side effects on it that's why I haven't took it. They gave me some Dyazide 25 mg yesterday I haven't started them yet they have been kinda hesitate to give me those cause my blood pressure runs on the low side but my ear has really been on a roll the past week ringing popping and really off balance so hopefully the dyazide doesn't drop my blood pressure to low

• Posted

My BP has always been on the low side also. Just be sure to maintain your hydration while taking it. It is a relatively low dose, you should give your body time to adjust to it. It will make your skin sensitive to the sun so be sure to cover up or wear sunscreen.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info donna. I also have 2mg valum I haven't took any yet but I see a lot of people say they work really well when the ear is ringing and full and balance is off. Any thoughts on the valum? I just really hate taking meds for side effect reasons!

• Posted

Valium is more for the anxiety attacks that seem to happen with MD. When you are having a vertigo attack it will help you ride it out. It is not a drug to take routinely as it can be highly addictive and taking it regularly leads to having to take more to get the same effect.
    • Posted

Thanks! I guess I'm trying to be to tuff I been suffering it out with taking nothing but it's getting pretty bad so I might have to buckle down and start taking something for it this past week has been murder the ringing and off balance and fullness has been crazy this week pretty much none stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.