Coming off gabapentin

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm on gabapentin ,1800 a day I've been on abt 7 month now gained nearly 2 stone in weight went to my doctors she told me to drop it by 300 mg every three to four days so I'm on 2 morning afternoon and evening so far drop afternoon by 300 mg then she said drop morning and afternoon then drop one morning afternoon then night then drop afternoon completely then morning completely n leave the night time one till last then after I stop that I'm off them all together I've been told u can have bad withdrawal but I'm just dying to get off them to lose my wright again. Can someone let me know if the doc is right by dropping them so quick

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That seems to quick..maybe try for first few days that way. You will know if its too quick. Three to four days isn't really enough time for your body to adjust. So the combination of dose droppage and days doesn't seem good. Everyone is different though and reacts differently. I'm trying not to read the horror withdrawals as i come down..

• Posted

Angela, everyone will react differently. If you react in a negative fashion, simply slow the process down to weekly or biweekly. You will know... smile

• Posted

Hi Joe I'm a stubborn bugger so I will keep going until I'm off it lol

• Posted

Hi Angela. Like the others suggest, you will just have to try it and adjust accordingly.

I've just come off 1200 mg/day (for about 10 months).  I started by dropping 300mg but got withdrawl effects so asked the doctor to prescribe 100mg capsules so I could do it slower.  For me it took about a week for my body and brain to adjust to each drop.  So try what your doctor suggests, but you may find you need more than 3 days before the next drop. I dropped day doses first too, keeping the the night dose as long as possible to get avoid disrupting sleep.  Good luck.

• Posted

You may be ok, try it. Be warned the side affects from dropping a dose take me approximately 3days to be felt. I thought I was just fine...then whoah!! I was on 3000mgs a day, and initially tried dropping by 300 mg capsule,.... no way!! I also asked for 100 mg caps so as I could drop much slower. I've actually been doing it in 50 mg per week, by taking the lower dose on alternate days. The good news is that if the withdrawal hits you hard you begin to feel better almost as soon as you take the higher dose again. It's a bitch to get off. (For me anyway.)

• Posted

Curious if you are splitting capsules in half? I was getting the 300s and 100s. Now only getting the threes. Been dropping 100 per 7-10 days..but my 100s almost gone.
    • Posted

Oh, just saw you skip or take lower dose every other day. (if reading right) i was wondering if thats option. I was on close to you. Now at 2200mg
    • Posted

I want to get off asap took my first lowered dose on Monday so today been in pain itchy all over head thinking stupid things in pain but still won't give in to it

• Posted

Yes, every other day I take 100mgs lower than week before, eg, 300mgs, 200mgs, 300mgs...etc. until I feel I'm used to it, one, maybe two weeks, then 200mgs every day for a week, then 200mgs, 100mgs, 200mgs, and so forth, effectively dropping by 50ms each time. It's taken months, but I'm nearly there now. X

• Posted

Hi Angela, I have the same problem with Gaberpentin putting on a couple of stone. I am going to see the GP to get advice about stoppng them. I hope you soon get through the withdrawal symptoms. 
  • Posted

Hi Angela, I was dropping 300 at a time after 2 weeks of horrible withdrawals went back up to 600 a day split a.m. p.m. Now dropping 100 every 7 days. Took almost 2 weeks of full dose to rid effects of first drop. After about 3 days dropping felt effects, but not so bad as before. Yesterday started 2nd drop of 100. Every one is different is what I am understanding. Yes I was on for 9 years til now. My RSD is in remission so I want to 3rd. 43 pounds is what I gained. Yep self esteem can do go down. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you Linda. My doc tries to say u don't gain weight oh but u do they know nowt we are only testers for their mistakes

• Posted

Hi Angela, My doctor told me when first put on Lyrica. You are going to gain weight and lots of it. I was determined not to, but with Lyrics than gabapentin the weight and other side effects to first getting use to took a long time. Told Doctors over the years and was always told well you gotta do what you gotta do and that is to get and keep pain of CRPS Under control. I am after a few years of remission and recently had a neck fusion(different problem) decided to try. Had no idea that it is so horrific to do. We all have to press forward and try. SLOWLY! Other pains have surfaced harder, anxiety,

Itchy nerve endings, fatique, racing heart. Of need go back full couple weeks and give yourself a rest than start slow again. I want to really do this. So thanks everyone!

• Posted

Hi still trying to come down off gabapentin taking 600mg less now but still on 1200 but now the doc says dont come off it as they are taking me off amitriptalyn as I've got to have a full bodyvscan as docs are not sure if I have another tumor or if its the amitriptalyn what is causing my bloods to be dodgy I'm still not going back on the 1800 I need toblose this weight I'm sick of it. But I'm having somevawful symptoms with itchiness nausea I'm in more pain feel unwell. God knows what I'm gonna be like coming off the other drug I may as well scream now. 😭 😖

• Posted

I'm finding new symptoms all the time now this morning my head feels fuzzy and been going dizzy itchy all over feeling anxious and breathless I'm sick of this I'm dropping another 300 tommorow so god knows what's gonna happen next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.