Prescribed Predniolone (5mg) for nasal polyps

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm just after some advise really, I have been prescribed Predniolone 5mg for my nasal polyps, I have been told to take 6 tablets daily for 2 weeks.

I am really worried about taking these tablets with the being steroids and the side effect i have read scare me, the main one being gaining weight.

Has anyone has this medication for this amount of time and what symptoms have you had?

Thanks

Sarah

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

usually steroids are giving on a downward slide scale.. usually taper down the does every two days or so till you are taking just one a day.. I would check to see if there wasn't a mistake on the dosageing schedule. remember side effects are "usually" from long term usage or as you first start and your body acclimates to the drug. don't scare your self with all the side effects, yes be aware what they are but don't consume yourself with them.. steriods are a very effective anti-inflamatory drug. You will start to feel better very quickly ... good luck 

simon

• Posted

Sarah

5mg is not a big deal when is just for 2 weeks, I've been on prednisone for over a year with a very high dose (85mg for a month and then taper it down to todays 5mg.) Unfortunatley nowadays seems everything is treated with prednisone, no lies, is poison to our body but it does its job where is needed. you wont gain any weight with such small dose for that period of time. you'll be fine. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi

I've just had endoscopic sinus surgery and Septoplasty for nas polyps. I have prednisolone for post surgery symptoms. I've got 5 days at 25mg and 5 days at 12.5mg.

My pharmacist advised me that if you are taking them less than two weeks you don't need to taper off in small amounts. If you are taking 30mg over 2 weeks without any reduction you may need to clarify with a dr/pharmacist if you need to taper in the second week to half strength.

My husband regularly takes prednisolone for ulcerative colitis. His main side effects are acne. He tapers off very very slowly but it because he is a long term used of the drug and quick reductions can cause rebound of symptoms.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.