Mirtazapine help! For Calmer :)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey calmer,

Im hoping you could help me?

Little bit about my story.

3 months ago was a fit healthy man (32) loving work and enjoying life. I have recently had a little baby girl (6 months old).

3 months ago I started to get panic attacks and racing thoughts when I tried to sleep.

I went to my GP he prescribed me sertraline, worst mistake of my life(lasted 8 days on them).

I then went back and he prescribed me Mirtazapine.

I took 7.5mg for 3 days then moved up to 15mg for roughly 2 weeks. On the second week I thought these ain't doing much for my anxiety and I stopped taking them. Big mistake!!! I've never been depressed, within a few days I was in a black hole, crying etc.

I made the choice to reinstate the 15mg dose for 2 weeks, went back to the GP because I still thought they wasn't doing much for my anxiety. He increased my dose to 30mg. I've now been at this dose for a week and I still don't feel right, I know people say stick at it for 4-6 weeks but I'm starting to believe the mirt is causing OCD type intrusive thoughts which I've never had before in my life.

I'm seeing a privets counsellor which i think is helping more than the tablets.

Basically I want of these tablets! Even though I've only been on them a short time i believe they are causing more problems than they are fixing.

Making me lazy, not wanting to leave the house, not wanting to drive, OCD intrusive thoughts, and can't work.

I just want to get it out my system, I've forgot what the real me felt like, I feel kinda numb?

I'm writing to you because you seem to have the knowledge and information to help me get of these.

How do I go about it?

Thank you in advance.

Jimmy

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Any advice is welcome from all members xx
    • Posted

Hey jimmy

Im in the same boat been on anf off these bloomin tablets for a year. They even took me off put me on sertraline too i lasted 2 days! So like you back on mirt. I have an app with psychiatric doctor first time in my life because they dont know what to give me!

All that effects you are explaining are very typical it seems. Im down to 7.5mg because the 15mg was making anxiety worse. I cant leave the house for feeling faint and dizzy. I was told the higher dose for depression and lower dose for anxiety. I suffer from depression but these tablets have caused anxiety really badly. I like you tried to come off cold turkey from 7.5mg BIG MISTAKE! I was like a junkie coming off drugs. There is a 10% method which calmer may explain more but unless youre doctor is willing to give liquid mirt then calmer may explain how to do it.

• Posted

Hey kelly,

I think I made a big mistake going on tablets.

I've always been the type of guy not to take any sort of tablet, even a paraecetamal.

Thinks it was because I'd never experienced anxiety and I thought they would be a 'quick fix" how wrong I was.

My counsellor seems to think I may have postnatal depression / anxiety. After the birth of my little girl.

I'd never experienced depression till I tried to come of the mirt, it could of been withdrawals but I didn't ride it out long enough I just jumped back on the dam tablets lol.

I'm currently on 30mg I don't seem depressed but anxiety levels are high. Wished I would of waited and tried to ride it out without the tablets.

The problem I've got is my partner, and mom saying stick on them it'll get better. But I'm thinking the longer I'm on them the harder it's going to be to get of them.

Thanks for the reply.

You having a tough time hun?

Jimmy xx

• Posted

I've just received an email from the CITA website with a book of how to come off. Explains what supplements to take and how to reduce.

I'm going to have a good read of that and see if I can start to reduce.

My first message was aimed at Calmer because he/she seems to be the Oracle on this topic, seems real kniwlagble. I'm glad to hear from all members though xx

To be honest if it wasn't for the intrusive thoughts I've encountered I'd probably give them a good chance to kick in.

But the thoughts are making me ill, I know I am not my thoughts but I'm sure it's the mirt causing these.

Jimmy x

• Posted

Hi Jimmy

Was on these for 9 weeks.  Everyone was telling me to up doze it would get better.  Got to 30g at week 7.  Had the same as you.  Eventually went back to doc and said I was taking no more.  I thought I was dying a slow death.  She told me. To half the dose for a week and stop.  I did not do that but took 3 weeks, still probably not long enough.  It is now 5 weeks mirt free and am stiff suffering, thing marginally improving.  If these have not worked for you and making you feel worse, get rid.  Have never taken anti-depressants in my life and never will again.  Don't know how long it will take me for recovery.  Know and listen to what your body is saying.  Wish I had.  I am 66 years old and want my brain back.  Good luck.  I am using homeopathy and acupuncture as this med has messed up my stomach, my sleep and my anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Judith

5 weeks off now that's good news. Hopefully you'll start to feel the benifits of being mirt free very soon.

I too won't be trying another AD like yourself.

Jimmy x

• Posted

I agree my stomach was bad enoigh with ibs but worse now. Did you have dizziness? im down to 7.5mg for last two weeks but the dizziness is shocking so bad i cant go to work. I wake up feeling like im not me at all. I swear this drug has just trurned me into an emotionless wreck. I have no interest in anything like i did before. Its not really working for my appetite anymore other than craving sweet stuff late at night. Could go whole day not feeling hungry. My sleep is still rubbish i wake up a few times thriugh the night in almost a surreal anxious zombie state! Arggh i just want to be happy again.
  • Posted

Jimmy I've been on Mirtazapine for 6 months to help with depression and my insomnia and I've had the same feeling of being tired all the time and not wanting to leave the house as well as being dizzy at different times of the day as well as messing my stomach up. I've been slowly weening off of it because I'm tired of all the side effects which I accepted because it help me sleep somewhat better.. You'll have to come up with a game plan to ween off of it but hopefully it shouldn't be too bad because you've been on it only a month.

• Posted

Hey rob

It's a strange drug isn't it. Gets hold of you pretty quick.

I'm gonna listen to my body and mind. And come off.

The wife won't be happy because she thinks I'll go back to having panick attacks.

At 30mg I get a strange feeling like a constant panic attack but don't menifest if that makes sense.

Jimmy.

• Posted

It's something I definitely wish I hadn't started but was so desperate for sleep that I gave in to taking it and it has really had a negative effect on my life I only wish I tried to get off of it quicker it I just have to fight through the withdrawal symptoms and hope for the best. Hope all goes well with you in the future!

• Posted

Know exactly what you mean.  Try Bach rescue remedy for panic attacks.  I am right at this moment trying to deal with palpitations.  Never had these before taking this.  There is lots of natural remedies out there. Ruth
    • Posted

I've been on 30mg for a week know, im wandering how much do I reduce tonight. Do I drop to 22.5mg tonight ? How kind do I stay on each reduced drop?

I've only took it for no longer than 6 weeks and it's got an hold on me. sad

What dose you on rob? How much do you reduce and stay at each dose etc ?

Jimmy

• Posted

My high was 45 but at 30 the longest. I went down to 22.5 and did ok but tried to rush it down to 15 after two weeks and felt awful. I currently went down to around 18 give or take because it's hard to cut pills to get that dose. I've been ok so far but it's been about 5 days. Everyone reacts differently but I would take it slow and ask whoever prescribed it to you to get a game plan.

• Posted

I've asked my GP they seem to think it's non addictive and I can just stop, they have no clue really. sad

• Posted

Sorry to hear that it sounds like he doesn't have a clue if he doesn't believe Mirtazapine is addictive and it's easy to just come off of it when you want without any effects...

• Posted

Hi Jimmy,

I have been on Mitrazapine for 31/2 weeks now. 15mg, will need to go back to Drs to assess but don't plan on increasing dosage of I find I can function at this dose. I have weaned off Sertraline (before that Citraplan) They do make me sleepy but I'm glad if that as I was suffering from insomonia (for years). On the initial couple of weeks it seed to make me very angry!!! That seems to have calmed down now. Only time tell! I am beginning to function slowly although it exhausts me when I do however.

It apparently takes 4-6 weeks to really kick in so I am going to persevere and give the meds a chance. I think too often when we experience side effects we give up and don't give the meds a chance to settle down and reach an even platform.

Good luck. But please give the meds a chance to kick in. Listen to your wife or others who can observe you but ultimately it is your own body that you need to listen to.

• Posted

Hey rob

I cant understand how doctors dont realise or care. Whats with this awful dizziness! I tried to explain it to the doctor i get an almost cold feeling in my stomach and feel as if im going to faint sometimes at random times in the day but its every day! What dose are you on now? I guess we shouldnt be surprised that it was originally used for cats for making them eat! We will all be meowing soon 😀

• Posted

Just do it really slowly then hun especially at 30mg. It was bad enough trying to come straight off 7.5mg x
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,

uts an hard one for me, I wanna stay on the mort for my family, that say I'm starting to function more and more each day.

But then me being me don't want tablets in me 😩 I really don't know what to do. Suppose it's the stress of getting back to work, and Christmas is around the corner.

If I start reducing now i could risk feeling really ill over Christmas and I don't want that for my family's sake.

Jimmy xx

• Posted

Lol, I'm on approximately 18 because I have to cut my 15 mg pills and I'm trying to get to 3 mg by cutting it to go with my other 15mg. I hope to go down to 15 mg soon but doing it little more cautiously to try to minimize all the side effects for withdrawal which really suck! Being exercising and eating healthy to try to help out, I'm determined to get off this drug because it really hasn't been helpful at all except for sleep which isn't that great with it either.

• Posted

Hi Jimmy

Sorry not to reply sooner.  As you are undecided wether to stay on Mirt or not, its hard to advise.  I think Mirt' could help whilst you sort out the underlying reason for the panic attacks.  

You say you are "returning to work", "have a new baby (6 months)" and "Christmas is around the corner" - forgive me if I'm wrong but they are quite big on the stress factor monitor in our house !  So I'd work with your p.doc & discuss the reasons for the panic attacks - what do you do to unwind, particularly before bed ?  Taking an hour or two to unwind helps, no gaming or pc's as these just stimulate us wide awake hey?  Do youu think you were overdoing it?

I used to think the CITA Protocol was the answer but its outdated now; I would take time, if and when you're ready, to read the links re the 10% taper every 3-4 weeks ... click on my name & see the links under my status.  I know a number of folk who followed CITA, its OK to begin with but later on the drops/tapers are too great.

I know you say its only been 5 weeks in total, but I would still tread carefully if you want to taper. 30mg makes a lot of folks anxiety worse - would you say you have felt an improvement at 30 from 15mg, although you've only been at 30 for a week now.

Wishing you well Jimmy.   smile  

• Posted

Hey Calmer,

?Thanks for the reply.

?I first statred having the panic attacks whilst driving to and from work. At the time i had an inner ear infection.

?I was working in Leeds at the time, and travelling it there and back each day, i live in the midlands. This was meaning 12 hour days then getting home to a new born baby. All this was a stress build up.

My GP then put me on sertraline and that was the worst 10 days of my life.

Then got got put on the Mirt, which i dont mind too much but since starting them i encountered the intrusive thoughts. Hence why i want off them.

?Im going to check the 10% link now, is there any supplements that i can purchase to help me along the way?

?I hear what you are saying about the up and coming stress's, work and christmas. I think im just a little confused of what to do.

?Deap down i think if id of rode the inner ear infection out i would of been med free now. sad

?Jimmy x

• Posted

sorry Calmer missed this bit off.

​I felt the 30mg were making me more anxious, lot a constant anxious feeling. Ive dropped back den to 15mg as of last night, doe you think ill be paying for this drop in a few days?

Thanks again.

​Jimmy.

• Posted

Yes without the stresses building up, 12 hour day !!! also, I think learning some relaxation, maybe some meditation, breathing exercises will help you to naturally be calmer, wind down ... 

You can make a liquid by the way, the link advise it there, try and get Sol Tabs from your doc.  If you're wanting off I think you would be OK to go to 15mg (after just 1 week at 30mg), and see how that is for you - before the next taper.  Stay at 15mg for 10 days at least ...  

Has the inner ear infection sorted itself out now?  Some folk with Vertigo get anxiety with it !!

You could take a supplement of Magnesium, most people are low in this, depleted goodness in soil etc ... I would recommend Jigsaw.  Mag is particularly good for preventing/treating anxiety, for sleep, google Mag rich foods also.  

Hope this doesn't get removed by the moderator - they hate links !  

• Posted

after just one week you may feel nothing, you may have a little wobble, but I'm sure it won't be much if so.

30mg often makes folk worse, silly doctors know diddly squat !!  smile  

• Posted

Yes the inner ear infection seams to be sorted now, no dizzy spells for a long time. Thats what started it the vertigo symtems. But me trusting in my GP he said to try the AD's sad

?Ive been going to bed each night at 9pm, and listening to my meditaion app. My sleeps great 10pm - 7am.

I think whats making it worse is being of work with all day to look up Dr Google lol.

• Posted

Not travelling to Leeds now?    Yes, some people seem to sink down, take onboard others symptoms, stay strong ... we'll always br different afterall lol.  

Its a funny one, anxiety can be a symptom of depression, anxiety can cause depression, what causes the anxiety that caused the depression - knowing which one came first can be important.  In your case, did vertigo cause the anxiety !  You're not alone, others on this forum have been prescribed heavy AD's for vertigo, baffles me.

• Posted

Not travelling to Leeds now that projects finished thank god smile

?I've purhased the jigsaw magnesium, would you think its worth me trying Inositol, omega 3 tablets and multi vit tablets as well?

Sorry for all the questions lol

• Posted

Thought that might happen, i'll pop the answer in a private message so check your messages 

• Posted

Hi Calmer

You have commented before about being prescribed Mirtazapine for

nerve pain. I have reduced from 30mg to 15mg and at first didn't

have any problems but for the last few weeks have had an

absolutely awful dry mouth. I know that the patient info gives

this as a common side effect but I certainly didn't get it when

on the higher dose. Any experience of this?  

Regards.

• Posted

Hi Woodie

Sorry for your suffering Woodie.  

I do get a dry mouth when I'm sleeping but thats all.  Maybe bear in mind that Mirt' contains a huge histamine block (anti histamine) and this may be the culprit !!  Some people suffer with itching or a rash when rushing down the dosage, usually an over the counter anti histamine can help but not sure about taking it when you're at 15mg.

Big 50% drop there Woodie, be careful.   How long ago did you taper to 15mg ??

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. I cut the dosage to 15mg on 

the 6th October, so nearly 7 weeks ago. I had tried other meds

with unacceptable side effects so was then put on Mirt. I want

to get off this drug but unfortunately normal analgesics appear

to have little or no effect on neuropathic pain. In a letter to my

dr. the neurologist suggested that I could try Duloxetine but again

its just exchanging one anti-d for another.....I don't know if

I could stand the debilitating burning pain taking nothing 

at all!!

With best wishes...

• Posted

Ahh thats not what you want to hear is it, switching from one AD to another for pain ... try and go slow if you are tapering right off, follow the no more than 10% rule and you should be fine to avoid the nasty WD symptoms.  Click on my name and follow the links to taper.

Wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.