HSG Test

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have to go for an HSG test tomorrow and I made the mistake of freaking myself out by looking at other people's stories.  Some say it was the most painful thing ever, and some say that it didn't hurt at all.

To make matters worse, my doctor had spoken to me about a saline infused sonogram, but the approval was for the HSG.  I called her office twice to ask if there was an error on the coding, and the answer I got was "that's the code they asked us to use."  I'm very worried about dealing with a painful test, then finding out it wasn't what the doctor wanted and having to go do another painful test.  How many ways can they poke and prod inside there?

Further complicating matters, when I called to schedule it, I was told that it had to be done during a certain time in my cycle. so I had to call back on the first day of my period to get an accurate count.  When I said I never know when or if the bleeding will stop, I was told that bleeding is fine.   Then when my period started and I called back to schedule it, I was told they can't do it at all if I'm bleeding.

Honestly, this is as emotionally exhausting as it is physically exhausting!  

So, I'm trying to relax, tell myself that there's nothing to worry about and by this time tomorrow, it'll be done and over.  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ha!  I can't update the post, but just after I wrote it, I got a call from the imaging place, telling me there'd been an error and the correct test is indeed the saline sonogram!  

Just hoping that one isn't painful.  

• Posted

Sorry to see you have not yet had any words of reassurance on your post yet. I am a scaredy cat so not the best person. Is it like a hysteroscopy where a small tube is inserted into the womb?  

Lots of women have this but you should have pain killers first or alternatively you can have general anaesthetic. (If you have to have any treatment maybe it can be done all together under the anaesthetic - get it all over at once). Thats what I had to do.   Good luck - hope it goes OK. If you feel any pain they should stop  and tell them.    

• Posted

Thank you shell.

As it turned out, they couldn't do it.  My uterus is retroverted and they ran into the same problem that my doctor did trying to do the biopsy. They poked and poked and couldn't get what they needed.  So, while it was uncomfortable and momentarily painful, it wasn't cramping or anything like I'd imagined.

My next step is a D&C to get the tissue sample and the doctor will use a camera to look inside.

• Posted

I had the same problem when I went in they kept on poking and poking and poking and poking and poking AND POKING😢. Saying they would probably have to try it another time that it was very tight😲I told him no I can't do this a second time so I guess that's why ge kept on poking me😤When he was finally able look he told me it was 7cm siting in the middle of my cervics or uterus i don't know😔. Told me that's the one causing the heavy bleeding and horrible cramps😭. Most horrible experience😢😤😭!!! I say take the strongest pain killer you have DO NOT TAKE ADVIL!!! Over the counter medication medicationa will not work! I wished somebody would of offered me Valium or Xanax and a strong pain relievere. Like when you're an an accident and hurt your back and they prescribe really good medication for the pain🤔. Yes that how bad it was. I had an SIS before it hurt alot but not as bad as this one. If they were to tell me I might have god forbid cancer and they had to do the test again I don't know if I could take that test unless they knock me out yes it's crazy but you have to experience to understand it. Just be sure to take something very strong for pain NOT OVER THE COUNTER. Don't mean to scare you but I wished somebody would have warned me you know what I think I did take something that's why it wasn't as bad but it still hurt like hell! GOOD LUCK😯🤐

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.