I had closed reduction surgery on a dislocated/fractured 4th and 5th metacarpal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Its been over a month and I'm having trouble contacting my doctor. I would just like to know when I can start forces my hand to make a fist. ATM I can only make about a half of fist and there is still a little swelling. When I try and force my hand to close it starts to hurt and I still can't put over about 10 pounds of pressure on the hand when picking things up. Also my wrist is really sore . Any advice will be helpful and I know I need to see my doctor. Thank you

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The ole saying if it hurts don't do it.  I had hand surgery due to Dupuytrens contracture two fingers were frozen as tight as a drum in a fist position. I was splinted for two weeks and referred to therapy special exercises to get the hand and fingers moving without causing pain or compromising surgery or additional damage. 

Wait until you contact your doc. Ask about therapy and when you can start. 

• Posted

Hi Michael

My first hand surgery was 1971...over the years I have learned a lot...

4 weeks is too short a time for your fractures to heal...so take deep breath .

Hands are awesome and have such marvelous dexteritym...AND hands need to be gently encouraged to recover.. one hand has 27 bones that move in a delicate symphony with muscles and tendons...your leg has three bones, your arm has three bones...and your two hands account for 54 of the 207 bones thst make up the human body!

You can not make a complete fist when you have inflammation and swelling in the hand.

A kitchen sink filled with very warm soapy water is a great place to exercise. The very warm water is soothing and will make mivement easier. Do not force movement. Open and close your hand slowly, purposefully...when you have made your best active fist, hold it 10 seconds, release, repeat. After 5 repetitions, make the fist and use your good to gently, barely nudge the fist and hold it, release.

If you do this 5 times per day and spend 30 minutes with your hand elevated above your heart on ice you should see a steady improvement.

A simple fracture on a two year old heals in 6 weeks...on an adult who required surgical intervention more likely 8-12 weeks. Remember, you want to lift and carry, throw a ball, move a sofa when this is all over with.

And please, discuss your therapy with a physical therapist or better yet an occupational therapist.

Tuesday, I will be 12 weeks post surgery and yes, I am anxiously waiting for the release of all of the rules which have protected me during recovery phase...push the exercise will come...promise.

chin up!

• Posted

Wow your the best! Thank you very much ihavenonickname! We need more folks like you in this world. I will take all your advise to heart and will keep you updated on my progress. I hope your hand is well soon! Thanks agian!!!
  • Posted

Hi Michael

My first hand surgery was 1971...over the years I have learned a lot...

4 weeks is too short a time for your fractures to heal...so take deep breath .

Hands are awesome and have such marvelous dexteritym...AND hands need to be gently encouraged to recover.. one hand has 27 bones that move in a delicate symphony with muscles and tendons...your leg has three bones, your arm has three bones...and your two hands account for 54 of the 207 bones thst make up the human body!

You can not make a complete fist when you have inflammation and swelling in the hand.

A kitchen sink filled with very warm soapy water is a great place to exercise. The very warm water is soothing and will make mivement easier. Do not force movement. Open and close your hand slowly, purposefully...when you have made your best active fist, hold it 10 seconds, release, repeat. After 5 repetitions, make the fist and use your good to gently, barely nudge the fist and hold it, release.

If you do this 5 times per day and spend 30 minutes with your hand elevated above your heart on ice you should see a steady improvement.

A simple fracture on a two year old heals in 6 weeks...on an adult who required surgical intervention more likely 8-12 weeks. Remember, you want to lift and carry, throw a ball, move a sofa when this is all over with.

And please, discuss your therapy with a physical therapist or better yet an occupational therapist.

Tuesday, I will be 12 weeks post surgery and yes, I am anxiously waiting for the release of all of the rules which have protected me during recovery phase...push the exercise will come...promise.

chin up!

• Posted

Oops double up!

Great advice and treatment. Pt online to for different types of hand rehab. A hand and foot spa filled with warm lavender scented wax is wonderful not just for therapy but also great for arthritis. Dipping the hand several times in the heated wax letting it cool it comes off like a glove.

Also makes your hand as soft as a babies behind!

Thank goodness treatment and hand surgery has come a long way since the 70's. 

Take care

Hope

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.