Neck and spine damage due to worn joints feeling feiant

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have neck pain when I put my head in certain position I almost pass out get very dizzy doctor says its wear and tear I am 87 can anybody suggest any help I go dizzy when I get up otherwise l am very active

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brian,

thats what I hear all the time as well "wear and tear" I have foraminal stenosis and now frozen shoulder all on my dominant left side, I have just turned 50 and used to do a very physical job, which i believe is now causing me all these problems. Your GP  should at a minimum send you for an MRI scan to see if anything has becomed trapped in your cervical spine, dizziness is usually associated with lack of oxygen to your brain. Everyone told me my neck pain was just wear and tear, turns out i have a bulging disc which has caused stenosis, wear and tear my a*se 

• Posted

I will do as you say and insist on a mr scan by just standing at your neck and giving his diagnoses seems not very final oven if I am 87
    • Posted

Hi Brian,

when my neck started giving me grief, I was told to have PT, I found this a bit upsetting as people were pulling me about and telling me it was just wear and tear on the discs in my neck, I wasnt very happy about this and spoke to my insurers, they were very good and booked an MRI scan. This showed a bulging disc and foraminal stanosis, that was two years ago. At least it gives a proper diagnosis and an idea of what to do. I take a muscle relaxer amitriptyline and try and put a bit of space between the discs do various excercises, been alright for a couple of years but unfortunately it has now lead to problems with my shoulder, its frozen and I will need to have a bit of surgery to correct, this was picked up on a shoulder MRI, they cost arounf £400-500 private

• Posted

To some extent it is wear and tear but the wear is probably a worn disc that is causing a nerve or blood vessel to get trapped and cutting off the supply to your head.

The fix is probably a cervical disc replacement or fusing together the defective joints so they don't trap the nerve or blood vessel.  I had this done but I was 64 when they did it and I don't know how your age will work out with a serious neck operation.

As Sean says, a MRI scan would probably show up what's causing the problem so you need to get your doctor to refer you to a spinal surgeon who can (1) authorise the scan and (2) understand what he is looking at.  He would then be able to advise you about the possibility of doing something about it.  If you are lucky enough tohave a few quid to spare, the Nuffield hospital at Norton Nr Stockton on Tees have a few good blokes.  They also do NHS work at North Tees Hospital if you can get your GP to refer you there.

• Posted

Thanks for your help it answers my question I think with my heart condition and being 87 leaves me like my local doctor says you will have to put up with it. It's due to an old horse riding accident . If you want to see part of my history type in to goggle Brian's Ride To London . Just for fun

regards Brian . My brother raced a 500 that built at silver stone long years ago my Dad was a garage owner in Staffordshire

Regards Brian 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.